The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a '13 S690 and was wondering if you would be more productive in a day with a 790 or the last year of the S690? We harvest wheat and canola. The canola is swathed with a 35ft swather and we do the wheat with a JD640FD. We grow lots of straw and cut both really short. We also have lots of hilly rolling ground?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Better value in a late model 690 but the new controls are pretty nice. Biggest difference I’ve noticed comparing our older 680 to our 780 is the active concave makes for a lot less rumble in the cab.

·
Registered
342 Posts
2015 and up better feederhouse / concave isolation, 2016 and up better sieve / fan , 790 newer monitor / cab controls / grain cameras / automation

790 will have an advantage to an older 690. At the end of the day they are all disappointing in canola.

·
Registered
979 Posts
780-790 do feed better then 680-690. Feeder house was slightly changed and deepened in transition to Accelerator. And there’s changes to retrasher system somewhere between early 6s and later 6s.

Your best value will be to buy a 780 and only time you’ll be short power is Wheat sometimes unless you don’t care about losses.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
780-790 do feed better then 680-690. Feeder house was slightly changed and deepened in transition to Accelerator. And there’s changes to retrasher system somewhere between early 6s and later 6s.

Your best value will be to buy a 780 and only time you’ll be short power is Wheat sometimes unless you don’t care about losses.
So you’re saying the latest “STS” still has the problem of rotor loss of old? Or both exit doors are open? Have the 780-90’s got adjustable pre-cleaners from factory - especially the grain specific model?

·
Registered
979 Posts
So you’re saying the latest “STS” still has the problem of rotor loss of old? Or both exit doors are open? Have the 780-90’s got adjustable pre-cleaners from factory - especially the grain specific model?
In my experience only place a 790 is going to do more then a 780 is while unloading on the go in wheat. ( if you actually care about running with reasonable losses)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We do have times that we are short of power with our 690,we dont generally unload on the go because of rough fields. Mainly wondering if you would get more done in a day with a S7 series over the S6 series

·
Registered
979 Posts
We do have times that we are short of power with our 690,we dont generally unload on the go because of rough fields. Mainly wondering if you would get more done in a day with a S7 series over the S6 series
My simple opinion is yes from what we have seen. They feed better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone gone from a s690 to a S780 and liked it ?
We run 690’s with 45’ heads and demo’d a 780 with a 40’ head last season. The auto maintain made for a real nice sample and running the harvest smart worked well. Felt is was underpowered as we were harvesting 80bu durum and cutting the crop short - about 6” of stubble. With 5’ less head, I couldn’t keep pace with the 690’s. Go with a 790.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We run 690’s with 45’ heads and demo’d a 780 with a 40’ head last season. The auto maintain made for a real nice sample and running the harvest smart worked well. Felt is was underpowered as we were harvesting 80bu durum and cutting the crop short - about 6” of stubble. With 5’ less head, I couldn’t keep pace with the 690’s. Go with a 790.
I forgot to mention a couple more things. The chopper on the 780, we found it did a beautiful job chopping and spreading across the entire pass. That would also be why it seemed underpowered. The fuel consumption/acre was better than our 690’s though. We had also demo’d a 790, but that was in 40’ swathed canola. The sample was very nice. Had trouble with the auto maintain, as the product would leave residue on the camera and cause it to shut off. It just meant that we had to stop a bit more to clean it. The swathed canola wasn’t much of a test for the power and the fuel/acre was again better than our 690’s.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had a 790 with auto maintain. Personally I don’t the system is worth a damn. Cameras fog up or lens gets dirty and it shuts down. I think a 2016 or newer 690 will get as much done as 790.
I traded mine for a 760tt. Now that was a massive step up in capacity and the auto feature works very well.
790 is a nice machine but the better value and same productivity can be had with 690 my16 or newer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts