The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway a farmer can lookup the histroy of a combine using the serial number? Are dealership only able to obtain this info ?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Just dealerships... but you can take it to your local salesman and have him look up the build codes... They cannot pull the work order history as that's kept at the different dealerships where the work was done. Now if it's a one owner piece that has been serviced everything at the local dealer then yes they can, but as far as detailed history no they cannot if it's been at other places besdies locally.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This ironic.... I was wondering about this today, myself.

Alex, When you say a dealer can look up the build codes, what exactly does that mean? Will it tell the name of the dealer that sold the machine new? How about the original owners name? Lastly, how far back (in years) is this info kept in Deere's system?

Mark

·
Registered
578 Posts
yes, it will tell where it was sold new and the options it was ordered with. recently i bought a 610 chisel plow and had my salesman look up the history on it. it told me where and when it was bought ect.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It should tell you the original owner of the machine. I had my local dealer look up a '94 9600 combine for me this year before I bought it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
About three years ago I was looking up some codes on a 7700 tractor and found the serial number for a 1973 7700 combine in Deere's SIS data bank. The only info I was able to see was the dealer that sold the combine, the location and the purchaser's name. That really surprised me.

Regarding how far back this info is kept: usually anything before the mid-80's is hit-and-miss. I found quite a few 50 series tractors in the system as well as Titan series combines. Although the service history on the equipment (in my experience) was quite thin. Anything early to mid-90's (seven, eight, nine thousand series tractors, Maximizer combines) should be relatively easy for your dealer to research.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts