The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out today that you can go to your local John Deere dealership and buy Service Advisor. What I've been told was it came out Monday for the agriculture side. You can buy the EDL and the license around $200 a month. The only bad thing is you cannot get programs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I've been told is you get CDs and a EDL. EDL is a module between the tractor and a computer. The programs are The files you need when you replace controllers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I work at a Deere dealership and we were talking about this today. If you get the program you can troubleshoot codes and link with your equipment. That is about all you can do. You unfortunately cannot do any programming or say if you replace a sensor that went bad, you cannot adjust anything in any way on your machine. Even though your machine belongs to you, the computer technology belongs to Deere. In my opinion, it is a waste of your money.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Will it give you same trouble shooting steps as tech licensed SA ? Will it allow you to calibrate anything ? Does customer purchase EDL and then pay $200.00 / month ? If so is it online version of SA ?
Very cool that they've opened up the door this far especially if trouble shooting steps and theory of operation manuals are part of the deal.

I work at a Deere dealership and we were talking about this today. If you get the program you can troubleshoot codes and link with your equipment. That is about all you can do. You unfortunately cannot do any programming or say if you replace a sensor that went bad, you cannot adjust anything in any way on your machine. Even though your machine belongs to you, the computer technology belongs to Deere. In my opinion, it is a waste of your money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They will give you step by step instructions on how to trouble shoot a code but no they will not let you calibrate anything. It is similar to SA but they really give you only enough to help your dealer cut down on the labor if you troubleshoot it yourself. If they let you calibrate, us dealer guys wouldn't have any work:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it is truly Service Advisor you should be able to do calibrations no problem. I acquired it last year from JIUtech, along with the EDL and I can perform all the tests and calibrations a dealer can do. The only thing I can`t do is reprogram.

I was a little doubtful when I received the laptop and the first thing I did was hook it to a 9760 and do a cylinder cutout and engine misfire test. Sure enough, it worked perfectly. We use the program daily for tech procedures and torque specs. It even came with DTAC solutions current to 2015. This has become a very useful tool for my business and is anything but a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If it is truly Service Advisor you should be able to do calibrations no problem. I acquired it last year from JIUtech, along with the EDL and I can perform all the tests and calibrations a dealer can do. The only thing I can`t do is reprogram.

I was a little doubtful when I received the laptop and the first thing I did was hook it to a 9760 and do a cylinder cutout and engine misfire test. Sure enough, it worked perfectly. We use the program daily for tech procedures and torque specs. It even came with DTAC solutions current to 2015. This has become a very useful tool for my business and is anything but a waste of money.
Can you give us an Idea on cost?

I just spent quite a few hours finding info on 9630t steering on a 4000page JD diagnostic manual pdf file on cd. Talk about time consuming. Good news is I fixed my problem and was able to calibrate with 0 input from dealer.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It cost me $3000 USD plus $150 or so for shipping. Not cheap and likely not worth it for the average farmer.

I used the CD manuals for years and they do work but yes, very time consuming. Also, for a shop like us you have to buy dozens of CDs.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It cost me $3000 USD plus $150 or so for shipping. Not cheap and likely not worth it for the average farmer.

I used the CD manuals for years and they do work but yes, very time consuming. Also, for a shop like us you have to buy dozens of CDs.
So than you would pay so much a year for updates?

$3000US or just $4200can is one minor visit to a shop here pretty much.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I haven`t done an update yet but I assume there is a cost. The only thing I would get out of it is info for machines built after 2015 and also DTAC solutions. We don`t work on much equipment newer than 2011-12 so it`s not a big deal. I`ll wait a couple years.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Isn't all this stuff extra on something that isn't yours apparently, something to stay away from in the first place??? My green and yellow pants seems to wear out pretty quick this way. Luckily there are more simple brands out there....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Isn't all this stuff extra on something that isn't yours apparently, something to stay away from in the first place??? My green and yellow pants seems to wear out pretty quick this way. Luckily there are more simple brands out there....
Really, which brand doesn't have proprietary issues? Not saying you're wrong, but name one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts