The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
None of the other brand combines can even run the past two generations of John Deere flex headers and some rigid ones with full function as designed anyway. It’s just that most people didn’t understand that until they changed the plug in on the latest headers.

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
None of the other brand combines can even run the past two generations of John Deere flex headers and some rigid ones
And this is a problem how?

Any any perceived superiority of the new Deere headers is going to be very short-lived.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are you sure Don? Im sure the new Macdons will be nice but potentially the best Deere header isn't even out yet. The HDF, hinged and flexible cutterbar won't be out till 2022.

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
Are you sure Don? Im sure the new Macdons will be nice but potentially the best Deere header isn't even out yet. The HDF, hinged and flexible cutterbar won't be out till 2022.
Oh here we go again, just wait until...LOL!

What is complexity expense and maintenance worth? To gain 0.001% of a crop? Maybe.

Yes I’m sure.
And I can tell you why in two months. Not two years.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes I’m sure.
And I can tell you why in two months. Not two years.
December 17 seems like an odd time to have a product release.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I suspect there are a few product that would have been released at Agritrade. In all honesty, of all the things that were shut down and canceled Agritrade is the only thing that I'm really going to miss.

·
Super Moderator
3,526 Posts
I missed AIM and will miss FarmTech.
However, I can say FarmTech cratered right after I retired from the board!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I don’t.
Why not??? Current headers have issues keeping up with new combines. Have been a loyal MacDon fan for years but my flex drapers are holding my combines back in Canola and big cereal crops. And MacDon product support has totally disappeared in last 10yrs

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
I suspect Macdons new 50’ header will have electronics to work with new deere.
I doubt Macdon has had access to an X9 to even build an adaptor and test it. 50ft . . .I wouldn't count on it.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
I suspect there will be options for adapting at least older Deere heads, for example like corn heads in western Canada, need to have an older option, someone will get the welder out and modify the opening.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The mechanical fit up to any combine, including the X9 is the easy part. A bolt on adapter. The header demo on the X9 had a bolt on adapter for legacy combines. Other brands will have a bolt on adapter for the wider feed house. easy. Technically, any encrypted or software based interface is a digital lock and key. JD can easily block operation at that level. Let see if JD chooses to do this, as it seems, or if they continue to play well with others...

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I don’t think it’s been quite 10 years since John Deere came out with this header sensing and control system, if all of the right boxes were checked when the combine was ordered, but it’s been around for a long time.

No doubt there has been a bit of evolution as well, which is unavoidable. Somehow two green rotors suddenly seemed to make it concerning to other brand owners.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
@Haystack, they might have had proprietary tech in their own headers for 10 years, but the big difference here is that I can put any third-party header I want on an S series combine. Honeybee, MacDon, Geringhoff. They all can work with them. But not the x9. And if this is an indication of things to come, not with any John Deere combine in the future. That's what this thread is about. It's not about running a John Deere head on some other color, although I'm quite certain I can convert any of John Deere's headers from the last 10 years to run on other colors.

This really is something new and a bit disconcerting.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
I’m not convinced that Deere has locked everyone else out of the header market. Dealers barely have information about the new Deere heads I just don’t think the information aboht aftermarket has trickled down yet

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
@Haystack, they might have had proprietary tech in their own headers for 10 years, but the big difference here is that I can put any third-party header I want on an S series combine. Honeybee, MacDon, Geringhoff. They all can work with them. But not the x9. And if this is an indication of things to come, not with any John Deere combine in the future. That's what this thread is about. It's not about running a John Deere head on some other color, although I'm quite certain I can convert any of John Deere's headers from the last 10 years to run on other colors.

This really is something new and a bit disconcerting.
Why can’t an X9 push a Macdon down the field ?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts