The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I read of this somewhere but I can't find anything in the searches.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with swapping the Sieve/Chaffer settings around in canola and have been impressed so far.

Rotor 400
Concave 30
Fan 1000
Chaffer 6
Sieve 13 (Far open as my 9870 will read. Employee on the 9860 can get to 18.)

The idea being that with the settings the "normal" way, the air has a hard time getting through and when it does, it tends to overload the tailings with threshed pods and canola.

By opening the sieve, the air can get up to keep the top material floating. Then adjust the chaffer til you are happy with your sample in the tank.

Tailings has dropped to only 1 or 2 bars on the sensor. When checking the tailings, there is still some threshed canola and pods, but way less than before.

We are running 1-2% dockage according to the elevator man.

Sensors are picking up almost nothing (sensitivity set at 10) going out the back and I can't find anything when I look - yeah I know...canola is hard to find normally!

Anyway, I know I read of this somewhere so wondering who else does this?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After seeing the other thread about canola settings for JD, I thought I'd bump this back up.

I never did get any comments on these settings. Anyone else tried swapping the sieve and chaffer? Success/fail?

We ran like this all though 2014 harvest and it worked great.

Andrew

·
Registered
221 Posts
On our 9790 Massey we run the bottom sieve at 5/8", with an airfoil top chaffer.This too keeps chaff in suspension, and we just use wind speed to control how clean the sample is.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
We've swapped settings in wheat for years on our Case combines. On wheat we can get away with a fan RPM of like 700-800, rather than 1000. Usually we run the chaffer at 8-10mm, the bottom sieve open at least 15mm.

Usually in canola we end up with about the same setting for sieve and chaffer. Say 6-8mm for each.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any more comment on this? Starting canola this year, willing to try. Also, what does everyone set their grain loss sensitivity at? 9770 sts x 2

·
Registered
293 Posts
Any more comment on this? Starting canola this year, willing to try. Also, what does everyone set their grain loss sensitivity at? 9770 sts x 2
No two grain loss sensors/systems are the same when it comes to sensitivity and accuracy. Only possible way to ever know what is going out the back is to throw pans and weigh the losses. Then set your grain loss monitor accordingly to what is acceptable for you. If you don't you are only fooling yourself. Most people's losses are many times more than they think. They use the scoop shovel trick or blow on the ground and look for grain. Lol.
Note: the accuracy of any grain loss monitor/sensor system on any colour machine is sceptical at best.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Has anybody actually weighed out their losses in canola. We did. In a 35 foot canola swath running 43bpa with a 680 doing 4.8mph we were throwing over .6bpa. Figured that was acceptable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I made a remote release drop pan for our combine and we weigh about half a dozen times in a season. On our 590 lexion, in the last 3 years, we get about .3% loss. Would put us at about .13 bpa. You're at about 1.4% loss. We do a 30 ft swath but average about 20 ac/hr similar to your speed. Fuel consumption might change the final numbers but we use about .8 gal/ac and I doubt if anyone else would be using significantly less. Comes out to about $5 an acre between the 2, not a combine payment but a nice winter holiday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I made a remote release drop pan for our combine and we weigh about half a dozen times in a season. On our 590 lexion, in the last 3 years, we get about .3% loss. Would put us at about .13 bpa. You're at about 1.4% loss. We do a 30 ft swath but average about 20 ac/hr similar to your speed. Fuel consumption might change the final numbers but we use about .8 gal/ac and I doubt if anyone else would be using significantly less. Comes out to about $5 an acre between the 2, not a combine payment but a nice winter holiday.
After collecting a sample on a pan what calculation do you use to cAlculate your losses

·
Registered
126 Posts
After collecting a sample on a pan what calculation do you use to cAlculate your losses
Our pan is 4.2 sq ft or something, its marked on the pan in paint marker. We drop chaff and straw all on top of the pan, clean it all out, weigh the seeds, then put all the weight and measurements in an iphone app. I think its "Harvest Loss", it then tells you percent, bushels and cost per acre

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow there must be hardly any seeds in your 4.2 sq. ft. Pan to get .13 bpa. I thought we were doing awesome till I realized I entered the seize size in feet instead of inches. After that it didn't look so good ha ha

·
Registered
126 Posts
We don't push really hard in canola, I would say that we are about 85% of capacity in good going, I let the kids drive lots of the time because its pretty boring for me. Ya in the pan isn't a lot, we weigh it in a gram scale but you could easily count them if you wanted to. We also only use the grain cart weights and gps field sizes for yields and don't even bother trying to set the combine yield monitor anymore.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got into canola last night. I was out throwing some pans behind the guys and am having a hard time finding any canola in them. I don't know where I first heard of swapping the sieve settings, but it seems to be working!

Andrew

1 - 20 of 32 Posts