The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put the Jensen radio that Case sells in a combine and if you did what kind of antenna do you need to make the Sirius it work? Just bought one today was wondering what i all had to do.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't know if the Jensen unit is Satellite Radio Ready or not, but I'm going to assume is isn't (if I'm an idiot and it is, then you'd need a Sirius tuner, but I can't find one for any Jensen headunit).

You would have to get a Sirius radio and vehicle kit, like this one. It comes with the display/receiver, antenna, and everything to make it work. The receiver has a FM transmitter that broadcasts the signal to your headunit. It works, but the transmitters aren't as powerful as they used to be, so the receiver has to be either close to the headunit or connected to the supplied FM Extender.

I selected the Sportster 5 in this instance because the FM transmitter is more powerful than the Sportster 4, which I have in my pickup. We have a 5 in the tractor and it works without the FM Extender, but on a very clear morning/evening or when near powerlines it picks up a lot of interference.

It's a little more labor intensive, but I'm going to avoid the FM transmitter hassle this year by putting in a direct connection. I think it will make for a much more enjoyable listening experience.

edit: took out a sentence that didn't fit

·
Registered
299 Posts
I put one in my 2188. The radio that came with the machine when new and my Sirius receiver didn't work very well at all. It had alot of static noise so had to get an adapter from Sirius to hard wire the case radio to the Sirius receiver. That took care of the noise problem. Got a new Jensen radio from Case for Christmas, installed it and because I had the adapter, hard wired it also.....and it works good. Only reason I had to get a new radio was the AM band didn't work on the old one.

The direct adapter that okpanhandle pointed out is what I have. You have to drop the front headliner to do it right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you got to love that sirius radio!!! don't know what I would do without it. With the king of all media and the Bubba Army it makes the day so much shorter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trakman was your radio the satellite ready model or just the cd version? I ask because on the box this one is the satellite radio ready. Just trying figure this out before I tear head first into this project. Should have lots of time yet because harvest is along way off here in Iowa.

·
Registered
299 Posts
customfarmer... found the box mine came in and it says nothing about being satillite ready. It is a Jenson 2000. The adapter plugged in this radio just like it did on the old one. You might have a newer one...I see mine was built in 5 of 2007. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
customfarmer, what model is your Jensen? I was looking on crutchfield.com last night and only found one Jensen that was sat ready. I looked up accessories for it and the only satellite tuner they had was for XM. Maybe I was missing something.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Box says JHD 3150, says it is sat. ready, i pod ready, mp3 ready. It has three extra extra cables that come out the back each labeled for either the sat., ipod, or mp3. This isn't gonna be a breeze like it seemed, I can see that already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts