The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the south coast of Western Australia with a range of soil types from sands to clay loams and looking to buy an airdrill, either John Deere 1830, Flexicoil 5500 or a Bourgault5710 or 5810. Wondering what peoples thoughts are on the merits of each, in Australia we can get a hydraulic tyne on the Flexi and Bourgault (is it worth it?) One concern I do have with an airdrill is over packing when it's wet and John Deeres 4 inch rubber press wheels weren't very durable, is the Flexicoil user friendly and durable and any comments on trash flow and field finish for any of these machines would be appreciated. I previously had a Morris C2 which does an awesome job of getting crop out of the ground but trash flow is the issue.

· Registered
512 Posts
What about the massey 9700 air drill. With the tyre packers. They look to have springs on each rocker axle on the packers. I think this would give a more even packing across the drill. I have an older case concord and really like it except I think the packing is not even enough across the bar on uneven ground. Lots of jd 1830 near me and can't see how they would be any better than my concord, their crops aren't any better

· Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I wouldn't touch the 5500. I just finished our fourth season with it and I'm still trying to level it out. You think you've got it and it goes out of whack again. Ours has the 4" rubber press wheels and was told last year that there's no spare ones in Oz. I've had gangs break the welds on the mounting plates and welded them back on with a decent weld only to have the U bolts break or the walking beams bend. I think the pneumatic "Concord" setup would handle our big rocks better. Are you the guy that rang me a few weeks back while I was seeding?

· Premium Member
258 Posts
have a look at the john deere 1870, we got very rocky red loam, sandy loam, and yellow sandplain and it did very well for its first year. fully adjustable hydraulic fert boot breakout pressure, and fully adjustable hydraulic packing pressure. the seed and fert boot are fully independent. trash flow is excellent. interchangeable from paired row to single row at any time. We'll never go back to the spring tyne we had (deere 737).

· Premium Member
1,165 Posts
have a look at the john deere 1870, we got very rocky red loam, sandy loam, and yellow sandplain and it did very well for its first year. fully adjustable hydraulic fert boot breakout pressure, and fully adjustable hydraulic packing pressure. the seed and fert boot are fully independent. trash flow is excellent. interchangeable from paired row to single row at any time. We'll never go back to the spring tyne we had (deere 737).
Did you get that through the local dealer or do you still deal with Hal like a couple of brothers I know do?

· Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I had a demo of 1870 a few year ago, trash flow was shocking over out ptx600. How even are your row spacing? The demo we had was from 10" to 14" may not of helped trash flow.

· Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I'm on the south coast of Western Australia with a range of soil types from sands to clay loams and looking to buy an airdrill, either John Deere 1830, Flexicoil 5500 or a Bourgault5710 or 5810. Wondering what peoples thoughts are on the merits of each, in Australia we can get a hydraulic tyne on the Flexi and Bourgault (is it worth it?) One concern I do have with an airdrill is over packing when it's wet and John Deeres 4 inch rubber press wheels weren't very durable, is the Flexicoil user friendly and durable and any comments on trash flow and field finish for any of these machines would be appreciated. I previously had a Morris C2 which does an awesome job of getting crop out of the ground but trash flow is the issue.
Are heavy harrows used in Austrailia?

· Registered
278 Posts
I would think that if you would consider a BG 5810 or JD 1830 you should think about a FC 5000. First off, the BG is a rigid frame cultivator with packers while it is very simple it cannot follow the ground as well as the JD1830, FC 5000 or FC 5500. Secondly, the 5000 has been around for a long time and is proven. The 5.5" packers you can get on a JD1830 or FC5000 should prevent concerns with over-packing or the pneumatic options available for the BG5810 or FC5500 would also address this concern and would likely survive rocks better. Using an opener that is narrower than the press wheel will also help to reduce the effects of over-packing.

I imagine that the hyd tynes would only be needed in severe rocks where breakout adjustability would be desired. Using an opener of a more vertical attack angle (as many now offer) will help to deal with rocks without hooking them and bringing them up.

As far as trash flow goes, the opener design goes a long way to address this.

How wide of an opener do you want to use? What kind of an opener would you use? How severe are the rocks there? How rolling is the terrain on your farm?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.