The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought a John Deere 3020. There seems to be oil weeping out between the head and the engine block when the tractor is used. Can it be the head gasket that needs to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Not often a head gasket will leak oil, but yes it certainly can happen. More often it is coolant they leak, which can during use accumulate dust and appear to look as an oil leak. But yes, it could be oil for sure.

Not a big job, wouldn't hurt to replace it, give you a chance to have a look inside as well. Then give it a top end set afterwards, and you should be good to go, they are good little tractor;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
If its a diesel it surely can be, my 4430 leaks oil at the rear at the headgasket. I will replace the head bolts as well, just in case they are stretched, cheap insurance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is definitely engine oil. I also thought it to be strange to leak engine oil from there. The tractor isn't used a lot, but I don't like oil leaks so it will have to be looked at when time permits. I really like the tractor except for the gearshifting.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Yes the syncro range shift patterns leave a bit to be desired, not sure what they were thinking, like who would ever want to shift from 5th to 2nd lol. Just have to remember, it's best to completely stop when shifting stations. If it is grinding between the forward gears within a station, syncros are wore. The later ones were syncroed between reverse as well. If the shift linkage is loose and the quadrant and lever is wore in the dash, tightening things up will make it better;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most times it shifts fine, even between forward and reverse, but sometimes it wont go into any gear and you have to shut the tractor down and begin again. I learned that if it wont go into gear it helps to bring the engine down to idle. It sounds worse than it is really. I always wanted a 4020 so maybe this is the start of my collection.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The older Deere engines have a pressure oil passage at the right rear of the cylinder head/block...this supplies oil to the rocker-arms/top end of engine. Fairly common for the engines to leak oil along the right side anyhow as that's the side where the push-rods and stuff are.

Yes..a head gasket usually cures that issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it is going to be a new gasket and a tune up of the head. I hope the parts are still available here in South Africa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts