The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a dozer blade for my 66 JD 4020. This one is attached at the drawbar just like every other blade would be. The part I am leery about is that it is shackled on the front axle. Is this normal to shackle a blade frame on a front axle like that? Would this cause any unnecessary stress to the axle body? I just presumed most would be connected at the 4020 frame, I may be wrong with that presumption. Anyone with any experience with a 4020 blade set up would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Back in the day, we ran a Leon dozer which attached to the front axle, on 7 & 8000 series Allis tractors, both two wheel drive, and FWD. Used it to pack silage, push manure, and push ground, never had a problem. I liked the setup, felt it kept the twisting stress off of the tractor frame.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
On most of those style of dozers that clamped to the front axle, the "axle mounts" aren't mounted solid to the A frame, on some they are clamped, others actually can slide freely, as the axle is not what transmits power to the blade. All they do is hold the blade centered on the tractor. All the force in either forward or reverse is thru the reach at the end of the A frame that attaches to the drawbar. This was a common mounting system with the earlier dozers. I have an Allied that is this way. The idea was to allow the blade to follow the movement of the front axle angle, rather than that of the rear wheels, which requires a more rigid and solid frame. It also simplified the mounts for making a dozer fit many different tractors without changing the mounts, just the positioning of them.

Even the ones such as Degelman that mount to the frame at the front, it is still important to adjust the reach properly, so that the front mounts are only holding it in position, not actually being used to push.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
AB is right. Have a Leon blade on a 4020 and the axle mounts are there to suspend the front frame but do not take any pushing strain. The straps over top of the axle on our blade are not tightened down very much and so the blade frame does slide left and right a few inches on the axle. We bend tie rods on occasion when pushing in rough or muddy ground but have no concern with damaging the axle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what I needed to know. I've never had anything to do with a blade that is suspended from the front axle, but after hearing this I'm not worried about purchasing it at all. Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.