The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
If u need a motor pretty sure there the same on the old 6600-7700 combines which can buy for next to nothing usually.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Search the thread "unintentional con rod inspection port"
I started a new discussion on the same tractor.

..... the final result is that the #5 rod big end h as d apparently been knocking for quite some time and finally made itself known to the outside world through the left hand side of the block.

I am discussing what I may or may not do with it on the other thread.
I was hoping the crank would be serviceable without machine work... but it's pretty beat up. I'm now considering just making it a 5 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'll try to link it up...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Search the thread "unintentional con rod inspection port"
I started a new discussion on the same tractor.

..... the final result is that the #5 rod big end h as d apparently been knocking for quite some time and finally made itself known to the outside world through the left hand side of the block.

I am discussing what I may or may not do with it on the other thread.
I was hoping the crank would be serviceable without machine work... but it's pretty beat up. I'm now considering just making it a 5 cylinder.

View attachment 158280
View attachment 158281 View attachment 158282
OUCH!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If u need a motor pretty sure there the same on the old 6600-7700 combines which can buy for next to nothing usually.
Combine and tractor blocks are different. Tractor block is much heavier because its a stressed part of the frame.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm not sure turning it into a 5 cylinder is a realistic option.
Why?
Its primary use will be a PTO tractor, grain vac, bagger, auger... maybe rake hay.
What's the worst that can happen.... break the crank? Its pooched anyway.
And it's a extra tractor, so if it goes down not a big deal.

Pull the rod and piston, plug the hole, remove rocker arms and pushrods, dump injector line into return.... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
277 Posts
Fix engine proper or sell to wrecker or park in the bush as a reminder you shouldn’t have bought it........

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I can't help but think it will be out of balance. It will no doubt run for awhile but think eventually it will break the crank with the constant vibrations. I am curious to see how it works though!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just find it interesting to experiment... and this just seems like a great candidate...
Dont worry people I wouldn't do it in my boat... [I hate paddling] 👍

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
It will run fine on 5 cylinders as long as you don't go over 1500 rpm. As I said before my uncle did that with an old tractor years ago. He used it for quite a while to move bales around the barn yard. It's parked now, but I bet it will still start.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Combine and tractor blocks are different. Tractor block is much heavier because its a stressed part of the frame.
This is false. We have 2 4430's that we swapped 7700 engines into. The block casting numbers are the same.

The same holds true up through the 20 series combines.

Have a 4010 with a 105 engine, quite certain they are the same as well.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good info, thanks folks!
I'm thinking it will be a 5 cyl, whilst keeping an eye out for a replacement close by and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Agreed. If I could delete or edit it I would.
Generally you can click on the little three dots above your post and hit "edit." Maybe after a long time it won't let you edit anymore. Sadly it does not appear possible to delete posts on this new forum.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts