The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
4630's have a 466 and the rear is almost bulet proof. We have 2 of them one with a powershift and one syncro. Good tractors, some start good in the cold some require a shot of cocaine in the cold! There is a reason Deere sells the best either, but if you are running in warm weather life is good, they are fair on fuel, most of the power is high in the rpm range. Simple and reasonably priced repairs, and the hydraulics are good, quiet and fast for the time they were made

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah a 4630 is a 404. We've had 2. Never was my favorite. 40 series is much better. One was a synchro other a power shift. Again not my favorite. Neither one would start on a cold summer day without a shot of either. (60 or below) our 4440 on the other hand if it turns over it starts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was suppose to be 1977 not 1077. Which according to tractor data was the last year for the 4630? From some other forums it appears that the newer models had some upgrades. Does anybody know anything about a overheating issue?

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
a 404 is what a 4030 and 4230 had, naturally aspirated, gutless wonders couldn't pull a sick ***** off a hog, 4430 had a turboed 466 and the 4630 had an aftercooler
Hate to tell you sir, but your 4630's came with a 404 from factory, not a a 466.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Walk by em with an icecream and still need a can of either. We had one wasn't a bad machine but we didn't overwork it. Most work it got was pulling a 14 bale stacker. It needed to be revved up to develop power. She started on fire under the cab and was replaced with an overhauled 2590. It has low end torque and uses less fuel when stacking. I'm not a case fan but an old Magnum would be a better buy than a Deere of the 4630 vintage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I still have a 4630, don't use it much now as I no-till. From the factory they came with 170 hp. Officially listed as 150 hp. They pretty much maxed out the 404 engine on the 4630 with turbo and intercooler. Powershift transmission pretty trouble free. Rear ends fine, just keep in 4 th gear for full load and full throttle. Planting you wouldn't use it that hard and it would be fine. I used to pull 13 knife anhydrous tool bar in spring with mine, don't like anhydrous since I no-till everything. Still disk with a 23 foot disk running 6 mph in clay hills.

If it was just overhauled and you can get it in the $15,000 range, good tractor for the money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.