The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this site, and new to the combine world, so I'm glad I found this site! Anyhew, I am looking at purchasing a John Deere 6600 combine, 3000 hours, unsure of the year, always stored inside, comes with a grain platform, it's a gasser, and is a manual transmission. The gentleman isn't asking much, but I am going to check it out, and was just wondering if there were some things to look for, or inspect, or test, any weak spots that the machines were prone to or anything like that. It has newer rubber on it, and the motor was rebuilt not too long ago. Any help would be great, thank you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There may not be any particular thing to watch for - I would check over all the belts and chains. Get an idea of what money your going to have to put into it besides the buying price. You can check all the parts on JD's website and even price them. Check if the owner kept a record of work done.

I have a 4420 and JD still supplies tons of parts for it, 6600 probably is the same. Check the straw chopper over! JD doesn't supply shafts for those anymore - I would put new bearings on it if they haven't been changed already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
on our 7700s the countershaft variable speed pulleys on the right hand side of the machine would always get real sloppy on the keyway where its driven off the the countershaft!!! rock the inner pulley by hand back and forth ( with the engine shut off) and see if theres any slop in the keyway thats why we run nothing but 8820s now!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts