The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on what is the better header in all conditions. I have a 770 and not been impressed at all in three years and thinking it maybe time for us to make a change

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've used a 692 for 3 seasons. Feeds great. Simple folding system. Mounts close to the feed rolls so balanced better than most, which makes a big difference in mud.

I had Kemper factory rep ride with me when we were chopping corn in July. I asked him why anybody still buys a large drum header? His answer was that in corn up to 20 tons, the small drum is the better choice. He said the problem in heavier corn is that the small drums turn faster....and have a tendency to throw the ears out on the ground.

I have owned both types of headers, and they work surprisingly different. The large drums bring the crop in vertical to the center of the head....and then knock it down into the feed rolls. The new small drum headers bring the crop in horizontally, so they create a better material flow long before it gets to the feed rolls. We never cut 20 ton corn here.....8 to 15 most years, so I wasn't a fan of Kemper's large drum header.

Just my .02
Good luck man!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.