The Combine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone has tried seeding peas using a John Deere 9350 box drill, the catch here being that my seed drill is a disc drill. I don't have a ton of experience with this drill and have planted only wheat with it so far. It seems that these disc drills have some difficulty placing the seed far enough into the seed bed at the best of times and I did already run into some problems with that while seeding wheat, especially with the openers that follow in the tire tracks. Being that we had such crazy weather trying to harvest I didn't get a chance to work up any of the stubble, which means that the seed bed conditions in spring are definitely not going to be ideal. By the time it is worked enough to seed it may well end up being dried out.

I would like to put in some peas this coming year but am not sure how my disc drill will handle it, or if it just plain doesn't work. Any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
I seeded for many years with a set of 9350 disc drills, but I pulled them directly behind a cultivator, same idea as the pony drills behind a plow. Except that the press wheels transplanted some of the weeds, it gave you one last weed kill and also allowed seeding into moisture. A pass with diamond harrows afterwards did get many of the transplanted weeds, but not all. Back then I didn't have rocks either so harrowing was an option. Back in those days the rod never got rusty on the rod weeder either. A double disc drill like that does not lend itself well to min or zero till, and when I switched to min till, that was the last I ever seeded with them.

Only seeded peas mixed with oats for silage, you need to open the doors on the seed cups to the third notch if I remember correctly so you don't damage the peas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts