The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an older 9600 John Deere with a 2 position throttle switch. We would like to go to a 3 position switch like the newer 9600's or a poteniometer where you can adjust the throttle on a dial. What has to be done to accoplish either of them. Is it a solenoid at the pump or is it different ohms through the switch? We need a middle throttle setting especially when unloading. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Solution Number: 5455

Solution Summary: JAN 03 1991 CAN THE THREE SPEED THROTTLE FEATURE

Publication Date: Apr 24 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**

BE INSTALLED ON MAXIMIZER COMBINES ( - 640100 )

COMPLAINT OR SYPMTOM:
CUSTOMER WANTS THE THREE SPEED THROTTLE FEATURE INSTALLED ON HIS
MAXIMIZER COMBINE ( -640100 ).

SOLUTION:
COMBINES WITH A NIPPONDENSO PUMP AND ECU
========================================
THE FEATURE CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THESE COMBINES AT A REASONABLE COST.

COMBINES WITH A BOSCH PUMP AND ECU
==================================
THE FEATURE CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON 9600 COMBINES ( - 635100 ).
THE PUMP, NOZZLES AND INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE.

THE FEATURE CAN BE INSTALLED ON 9600 COMBINES ( 635101 - 640100 ).
THE ECU WILL NOT HAVE TO BE REPLACED. HOWEVER, AH112169 ROCKER SWITCH
AND AH141265 ARMREST CIRCUIT BOARD MUST BE INSTALLED. IF THE OLD
AH137212 BOARD IS USED, COIL #1 ON THE STACK VALVE WILL BE ENERGIZED
ALL THE TIME, CAUSING THE SYSTEM TO RUN AT RELIEF AND HEAT THE OIL.

ANY OF THE ECU'S FOR COMBINES ( 645101 - ) ARE UNIQUE TO THOSE
ENGINES AND CANNOT BE USED ON OLDER COMBINES.

9400, 9410 AND 9450
===================
THE THREE SPEED THROTTLE FEATURE CANNOT BE INSTALLATED ON ANY OF THESE
MODELS DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE A ROTARY INJECTION PUMP AND ARE
NOT EQUIPPED WITH AN ECU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9450, 9600, 9410, 9500SH, 9500, 9400, CTS

Will this help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have the bosch pump serial number 636500. So it will accept the 3 position switch. Priced it at deere and the switch is 42 dollars and the new board is 305. What are they talking about with the old board and the coil on the stack valve being energized and the oil heating up. Is there a way around this and still be able to use the old board or a way to rig up our own switch or something? If we do put a new switch and board on do we have to run more wires?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This may sound dumb but what's the 2 position switch? Is that where you only have idle and wide open? Never knew they had that when they first came out. I guess our 9650 has a 3 position with idle, half rev, and wide open? Haven't been around the Deere's too much other than what we've got to know any different.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Have been looking at the harness, can not see why the no. 1 valve will be on.
The way you get different RPM'S is that the throttle signal is 5 volts at slow idle and 0 volts at high idle, so the ECU knows if the throttle volts to the ECU from the armrest is 5 volts then it is low idle, but when you put the switch to high the wire goes to ground and the ECU only see's 0 volts and will go to high idle, this is the early one. The later three speed will use a resister to make the middle rpm change to 2.5 volts so the ECU will see that and go to middle idle, this is a 2.0K resister. It looks like the SN on the solution is when JD changed ECU and did not get the three speed in production at that time.
I do not believe you can make it go different RPM's with different resisters because the ECU only knows 0, 2.5 and 5 volts.
The resister is also used when you want to up horsepower, this resister will go between two wires that go to the injection pump. This is a Power chip.

·
Registered
322 Posts
connor: 89-91 9600s only had the 2 positions. One more reason I wanted a 92 or newer when I was looking.

·
Registered
322 Posts
motram5455: Is that resistor then used for the difference between a early model grain and corn combine for the power difference?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
No it's not, that will be in the ECU and injection pump to have more HP.

If you have power boost when the unloading auger is on that also is a resistor that goes to a differnt wire to the ECU to tell it that the auger is on, but it only boost the power for a couple minutes.

A power chip is a resistor that hooks to two wires together at the injection pump and can put a different resistor on for the % of HP gain that you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there any chance you could copy and send me the schematics/diagrams you are looking at ? I can give you my email for them.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
I'm not sure how I should respond to this.
First of all Tom I admire your candor.
The odds you and I will ever meet face to face aren't too low for zero but it's close.
You didn't have to answer. You choose to.
You met a person that clearly made a huge impact on you.
All people on this forum should be so lucky.

Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts