The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quit farming for a short time while I got my business going. Started again this year, (in the past had red combines) this year rented a 9500 and was happy with the performance, started looking at 1999 9610's and was wanting to know if there was anything to look out for in that series of combine. Thanks

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Good engine..
Straw walker bearings suck.. Wood block upgrade... Typical wear items.. All and all, likely the longest lasting combine you will ever have if you maintain it.. LIt's of them around me with 6000 hours plus and the tacks don't count

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
never had a straw walker bearing fail and were pushing 1700 hours plus just greese each day. Had issues with grain pan arms breaking, had that happen twice last time, caught it in time and welding shop was able to reweld it, then then we done all the welds on the grain pan and have not had an issue since

·
Registered
233 Posts
best investment if you own a 9610 is a cordless grease gun!!!!! 30-40 pumps / walker bearing every morning. use up a tube of grease every day! but they are one of the most durable machines ever made. When we upgraded from a 9500 we noticed a huge improvement in both capacity and grain loss (9500's were terrible for throwing over in anything with high yields like barley).

nothing really to watch for besides the shaker / grain shoe. both the 10 and 50 series had some issues with them cracking or falling out around 2000 thresher hours. other than that the next stuff to wear out is the tin!

keep the green lights up and she'll run for years. If you were used to a rotary type sample I would try to keep the concave and rub bars switched out a little more often then recommended - lots of whiteheads start showing up in the wheat when the rub bars are dull.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Don't put up with the cast walker bearings, just change them out for the wood blocks and forget they are there. Best upgrade I ever did to my 9610, Deere obviously agrees because my new 2013 T670 has wood walker bearings on it from the factory.

The 10's are good combines, I had some structural problems with the tail end of mine but that's due to the rows we put in to irrigate here. Should be a serviceable machine if you stay on top of any issues that you see and don't let them pile up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As said, watch out for cracking in the sieve frame. I didn't catch it and my whole sieve frame broke in half and broke a lot of stuff, including putting a long crack in the outer skin of the combine.

Not sure on the walker bearings, I've never had to do anything to mine but grease them 2-3 times per season.

Look out for grain leaks under the floor augers in the grain tank, I put stainless liners in mine.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If you like the combine when you change the concave put in a St. Johns Welding hardfaced concave. It will outlast the rest of the machine. Wood blocks are a big upgrade over the aluminum blocks. I stopped breaking walkers after I switched to the wood blocks.

You don't say how many acres and what crops.

There are many posts about the 9x00 series walkers. Search for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.