The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 3-2011 9870's that are all around the 1000 separator hour mark. Heard lots of different opinions from people on what we should be looking at replacing. Wondering what kind of hours people are getting out of feeder chains and elevator chains. We also had one of ours have the bottom sieve frame break on us this year. Also a couple idler bearings that went as well. Any suggestions from other 9870 owners on what we should be looking into fixing would be great. We ran 9610's previous to these and I am already picking up on that the 9870's aren't built as bullet proof as the old girls were. Curious on the sieve frame issue we had. It was a big job to change and I'm not overly excited to do the other two machines if this is a normal thing. 2nd option is to flip them on some new ones but it takes a lot of $5 wheat to pay for that. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
If you have a mechanic around with a very good reputation with combines hire him to do a very good inspection on the combines. I do my own work and spend way to much time doing it every year and still have little problems. The option I took last year was to start leasing a combine. I also own one just to make me feel better and glad I do. I actually own 2 at the moment and one is being used by neighbor to finish up. Leasing pencils out for me. I lease from machinery link. Had very few problems in the past 2 years. Both combines had around 1400 separator hours on them. Both not the top of the fleet for machinery link. One was actually pulled off the for sale line. They do a great job getting them ready and when you do have problems they jump in better than my local dealers to fix the problem. I broke a feeder house chain this year. Well, maybe not me, it may have worn out and broke. Either way, I don't know. They paid for it and would have paid a dealer to install it. I installed it as I can get it done quicker. Only break down I had in 2 years with 2 different combines. Some thing to think about. If you do, tell them Lance Wickum referred you to them. I could use a referral bonus towards next years lease :)
Really, have a good mechanic look them over. 9870s are great combines. If you do want to sell one, let me know. My dad is looking for something similar to use in wheat and barley. Give me something to work on all winter ;)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
If you've had 1000 seperator hours out of your feederhouse chain, you've done very well. "Here", in small grains and oilseeds, we are happy if we get 700 hours. Our last one made it to around 900+ and the dealer was surprised!

Andrew

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All three combines have extended wear on them. We only do canola and spring wheat. All the work gets done by us usually unless its a huge job. Gonna park at least one in the shop this winter and go through it good

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya, they aren't exactly the easiest thing to yank out the back. took four of us and a lot of grunting to get the top sieve frame out. we had sieve frames break on our 9600's at around the 2000 separator hour mark so when this happened at a 1000 I wanted to throw up. Hard pill to swallow when the combine is only 4 seasons old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.