The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Really? John Deere is willing to sell their diagnostic software and hardware to farmers, and access to their online service database?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@meskie So you can take a used controller from another combine, and get the software payload to make it work in your combine with the tools you have and the software payload from JD?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I don’t think they’ll be successful. The complaint commits its own suicide by aligning the separately stated facts that a solution that costs thousands is presently offered to save millions.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
@meskie So you can take a used controller from another combine, and get the software payload to make it work in your combine with the tools you have and the software payload from JD?
Yes I sure can. You may have to know a guy who’s knows a guy to get the payload.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I don’t think they’ll be successful. The complaint commits its own suicide by aligning the separately stated facts that a solution that costs thousands is presently offered to save millions.
Any of the articles I’ve read it seems that the farmer wants the dealer software for free. The dealer doesn’t get his software for free so I’m not sure why any joe blow should get it without having to pay for it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am in contact with the guys behind this, and they are clear that they want Deere to deliver what they promised: Availability to purchase all the repair tools required and access to the software payloads to effect independent repair. At fair market price. e.g. just like any auto repair shop/guy can today. What JD is selling today stops short of delivering on the key bits. namely the software payloads to update a controller you have with the software you need, calibrate it, and authorize it back into service. if the 20% you cant have forms 70% of the issues you can't solve, then the current offering is not useful for fully independent repair. This primarily revolves around the technical systems in products [controllers/sensors/software updates]. I would agree that most Mechanical/Hydraulic and basic wiring repairs are doable today.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I have all the diagnostic software from most every company on a laptop in my shop right now.
You didn't answer my question. Did you buy it from John Deere and the other companies? I know I can buy it all on the black market. But let's be clear, the folks selling this software don't have a license to do so.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Yes I sure can. You may have to know a guy who’s knows a guy to get the payload.
And therein lies the problem. Why can't you get it from John Deere at a reasonable price? Granted "reasonable price" is a bit of a sticky point. If I've paid a couple of million to John Deere already how much more are they entitled to.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You didn't answer my question. Did you buy it from John Deere and the other companies? I know I can buy it all on the black market. But let's be clear, the folks selling this software don't have a license to do so.
I highly doubt black market boys will get you past the lock keys in Deere software and if they do how In the world is dealer going to be able to trouble shoot the thing if needed. Everyone I talk too wants nothing to do with playing with Deere software because of issues after the fact

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Indeed John Deere has an especial attitude. The other companies are highly proprietary also of course, but none of them are quite as bad as Deere is. Great machines but these type of issues don't make me want to buy more green machines. But if you buy into their complete subscription experience of course, things run very smoothly. They really are the Apple of equipment makers.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Except the software is available to farmers…..
I worked for a Deere dealership for a bit, warranty certified, what ever that means. I can usually diagnose and repair stuff before the dealer tech would show up, usually. I have HAD to call dealer tech to come out. Around $1000 to have them show up do what I tell them to do. Hook up laptop and work for maybe an hour or less.

I tried to buy the proprietary comm adapter from Deere. They wouldn't sell it to me. Tried to buy it from case, they would not sell it to me. Then try to get updates.... AgExpress can't even get the newest updates and they are the ones that repair a lot of the hardware. I had to hire a case dealer mechanic to come out and update my combine when software failed. Software failed, it was not hardware, twice now. Try to install a can-bus component on Deere with out the comm adapter and software. Not sure that is very possible. Not sure you can even swap them around to see if they work.

No it is NOT available to farmers. Would not sell it to me. Called more than one dealership. They will sell you a PDF version of the service manuals.

I can get CAT stuff. When I worked for CAT years ago customers had CAT diagnostic stuff to use. Fairly common if they wanted to pay for it. I did some contract work for one mine and had their computer to work on CAT stuff. It was the same as I had at the dealership. I have no doubts it is still the same.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
I do have CAT, Deere, Cummins (bought from cummins), Perkins, Detroit, a few others on laptops. Never did get Case stuff. With Deere, can you get the comm adapter even on black markets? To get most this stuff is has to be illegal to get it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
To get most this stuff is has to be illegal to get it.

let’s say I’m a multi unit customer and I pay millions for there paint , also invested in shop and mechanics.
And now I’m not able or aloud to fix my own stuff .
who is creating the criminal here ……

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do have CAT, Deere, Cummins (bought from cummins), Perkins, Detroit, a few others on laptops. Never did get Case stuff. With Deere, can you get the comm adapter even on black markets? To get most this stuff is has to be illegal to get it.
There is some software for Deere called polyCAN, never used it myself so I can’t tell you if it is any good. It uses an USB to CAN adapter board and you have to make your own cable. I know there are lots of black market solutions for CNH, and I have even heard of some DIY adapters for them as well.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
let’s say I’m a multi unit customer and I pay millions for there paint , also invested in shop and mechanics.
And now I’m not able or aloud to fix my own stuff .
who is creating the criminal here ……
Sure but the problem is John Deere only gets to be paid once for the paint. This way they can get paid over and over again so they can develop the new shiny green paint customers are demanding. It's only fair.

Seriously, though, the problem is that John Deere no longer sees themselves as a manufacturer of commodity goods. Or at least no longer wishes to be so. Machines are expensive, but they are commodities. They are completely replaceable and interchangeable. Or at least they were.

This is going to get quite interesting in the future. Computer technology has sure benefited farmers and how they interact with their machines, but it's also enabled a high degree of lock-in and secrecy of the internals that were never possible before. And this confluence of hardware and software, which has already had a chilling effect in other industries including the PC world, brings formerly unrelated law into play, such as copyright law. No one in their wildest dreams would have ever thought two hundred years ago that you could sell a physical item to someone and then forbid them from taking it apart. But with software, copyright law allows them to do just that. When copyright law was originally penned, no one had any notion that one day things would collide in this way.

In some ways I feel like we're entering a new age that's not too different from the middle ages where knowledge was strictly and carefully controlled by guilds and their careful apprenticeships. And I can't blame that entirely on big companies or government collusion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts