The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is not a throw 馃挬 at JD thread however, I鈥檓 interested in what others think of the lack of noise suppression in a JD cab.
I鈥檝e had JD combines over the years & have always thought the cab noise wasn鈥檛 too bad ........ until I owned NH & Case machines!
I鈥檓 currently operating a JD CP690 (cotton picker) & the cab noise is simply terrible!
I realise the cab design is some 28 years old - this cab was made when the 9600鈥檚 came out! The 600hp behind & underneath, the two great air seeder fans running at 4320rpm just underneath you, the six gearboxes & two hydraulic motors right in front of the cab, the masses of gears, spindle bars etc etc, all hammering around in the cabinets - pumps out a huge amount of noise ....... & quite frankly, this 28 year old cab design is utterly woeful in suppressing noise. Wearing noise cancelling headphones in a $1.3m 2 year old machine is in my opinion, far from satisfactory.
So is the new cab on the S series combines much quieter than the older S series machines? How about the tractors, are they quiet in the cab?

Registered
S series combines are considerably more quiet than previous generations. IMO 9R series are the quietest articulated and I've tested them all except Class. It might be quieter due to CVT.

Agree on the HVAC, but most are that way now.

Sprayers might be the loudest though. Did a noise test on our 4930 climbing a hill the other day. Only 77dB but it's the hydro whine that kills you.

Registered
My biggest complaint with all the newer JD cabs is the HVAC system right above the seat. Turn it up past half and it gets quit loud. The sprayers have a lot of engine noise also.
88 decibel before and went down to 72, dynamat under the floor and under the hood, world of a difference. Not deaf at the end of the day

Registered
On the sprayer ? Have any pics ?
Yes they are on the laptop, ill get it in the morning its updating now as always.
You can buy dynamat on amazon, and under the hood is different its heat and fire resistant more, i bought it through our deere dealer, it is used in trucking industry under the hoods.

Registered
Yes they are on the laptop, ill get it in the morning its updating now as always.
You can buy dynamat on amazon, and under the hood is different its heat and fire resistant more, i bought it through our deere dealer, it is used in trucking industry under the hoods.
Ever try lizard skin?
I've got some dynamat for the steigers but I absolutely love the lizard skin I put in my panther.
Spray it on like bed liner, it's just as tuff and makes a really nice textured finish for where you want noise insulation that's visible.
They have a ceramic one I want to try on the tiger to help reject heat. I may even put the sound deadner under the hood.

Registered
S.................................

Sprayers might be the loudest though. Did a noise test on our 4930 climbing a hill the other day. Only 77dB but it's the hydro whine that kills you.

Good to know since I just signed up for one but not yet delivered hahaha
But we're not in hilly country so hopefully will be okay.

Registered
No way only 77, no way.
My kenworth at idle is 77 and spending a day in there is no sweat. A 4930 is pretty much ridiculous!
I was surprised. I was sure it was going to be mid 80s. I wear noise canceling headphones in it. But I just use one of those apps on my phone. Don't think I had my case off. Wonder how much difference that would make

Registered
Curious if you found those pics? Wondering what you did under the hood more than anything

Registered
Using the app on my phone I get 86 decibel +- in my 4830. If you think that's loud, try spraying with the door open or, better yet, with no windshield. THATS LOUD.

Registered
If you want the full fonished picture ill have to take it from sprayer tomorrow, the dynamat in cab really reduced the hydro wine, have a friend in saskatchewant that drove with me in our 4830 and he has one too couldnt believe the difference it made

1 - 18 of 18 Posts