The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
My guess is waaaaay more than they should be. Equipment prices inflate faster than the inputs (steel, etc.). I only wonder when will corporate greed reach the average farmers ability to pay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
9570 2 wheel drive with greenstar,6 row cornhead with contour master, and 925 flex head with air reel in ontario canada $330,000. Supposed to run out of combines shortly.This is at 8 percent exchange

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can add another $7 g's for SLS package and Firestone tires.

I'd expect another 10% price increase in the next model year when they have the new models with tier 4 motors. Why not raise prices? Unless a bunch of orders go soft this summer you probably won't get one until late Sept now even as ugly as the things are priced today. It is just like making hay when the sun shines, and believe you me the sun is shinning brightly on the Deere STS Bullet Rotor combines.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Priced both 9770 and 7120 lately and believe me if the sun is shining on the STS then you should see what CNH thinks about their red combines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey customfarmer82........
How did the 7120 compare in price to the 9770? We priced out a Lexion 570 and 9770 with pickup headers, both machines fully loaded and the Lexion came in about $35,000. cheaper than Deere. Options where about the same with somethings available on one machine and not the other.And that worked both ways. Also priced out a 7088 Case IH and they where way out of the ball park. Couldn't believe the difference when you shop around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Too many people pay WAY too much for their combines and all other equipment it seems. When you go to your DEALER actually do some dealing with them and you will see how much cheaper you can get things done. I have heard people paying $175/sep hr around here. Do some math and you will find you are better off renting or leasing one for that kind of money. I think when people trade for $120-130/sep hr is too much. You can get much better deals as their is a huge mark up in equipment prices.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
A 9770 and a 7120 list right at the same price here in the US. You should be able to buy the machine somewhere between 73% and 78% of list, depending on how hungry the dealer is.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I priced them at dealer and told case ih to give me the best deal they could and they were still about 8 grand higher( For the record this dealership would try anything for me to trade for a red combine). I think that is rediculous when in my personal opinon (and let the beating from the CIH boys begin) that the 9770 has quite a bit more capacity then the 7120.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well IMO I feel what they are asking for a new combine is crazy and guys are paying close to 500k for something that sits in the shed for 10 mths outta the year and harvesting 3.00 corn and 9.00 beans is crazy (don't mean to offend anyone here but again my opinion). Guys could buy 300 acres of ground around here for what they want for a machine nowadays. Over time that machine depreciates and needs matienance. So why buy new? Get something a few years older and make a little money with it. We farmed 500 acres for years with 3 550 masseys. And this year my father brother and I went in 3 ways and bought an CIH 2166 and that was a lot for us We all 3 feel we like to pay for our equipment and make some money and write off what we make at our jobs at the end of they year with the farming write offs. I understand there is a market or no one would pay those prices. But I can't see anyone making money buying and new machine that's all.
And to boot if I ever bought a new combine I would be pi*#ed at the quailty control that comes from the factories. I have read on this forum of new combines with loose rotor gearbox bolts, loose radiator brackets,electrical wires wired wrong the list goes on. Not to mention a poor warranty that goes with what you pay for (1-2 year warranty when they should have a 10+) Deere and ih better watch out cause if Toyota or Honda decide to get into the combine market they would take that over just like they have the car industry because they are able to at least build a halfway quality product.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is obviously a few things you dont understand. A new combine is pretty affordable spread out over the right amount of acres plus the reliability of a new machine (in most cases) to get your crops out in a timely manner. I have talked to some guys with engineering degrees that can't believe how cheap combines are because they know/understand what it take to manufacture such a machine as a combine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't care how many acres you farm. You can't make money for the equipment you pay for raising 3.00 corn and 9.00 beans. If you do let me know what you are doing all that equipment to farm 5k+ acres you are paying for it. The only thing that could make you something is govt subsdies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't care how many acres you farm. You can't make money for the equipment you pay for raising 3.00 corn and 9.00 beans, your input costs and you farm and property taxes. Let alone all the equipment you have to have to farm you are paying for it. The name of the game is to make a profit not be a dog and pony show.

·
Registered
581 Posts
We traded in a Gleaner for a new 7120. The only way I could get into a green one for the same money was buy the JD auger head. To put a McDon draper on a green combine I would have had to get a 9670 to be at the same price as the 7120.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hahahahahaha! That is like saying you can't pay $200/a cash rent farming corn and soybeans. Or, You can't pay $40,000 for a diesel pick-up and make it pay. I wish more guys felt like you do. Then maybe stuff wouldn't be so ugly high priced to buy and rent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe guys have forward contracted and price protected their corn and soybeans so 3.00 corn and 9.00 beans really don't bother them. I'm not saying I'm in that group
but everyone has their own situation and I'm sure there are plenty of guys on this site that are sitting pretty good with marketing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Corn and bean prices are now $3 and $9... they were $4+ and $10+ and even higher before that. I don't think combines are pushed out til' fall, tractors til' summer, and planters pretty much sold out because people can't afford them. It all depends on how you are set up with your operation and as of late many operations have been able to update and be just fine. We sure didn't buy one to lose money. There's a thing called tax write offs that make it feasible.

I respect your opinion and think if you can't make this stuff work I would definatley stick with used, but there are operations making it work out just fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts