The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate some input on a 97 John Deere CTS combine. Running a 9600 and a 9610 now and have a chance to buy this cts quite reasonable for a spare. We grow wheat barley and canola.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
It should have more capacity in wheat and especially barley but less in canola. They were a bit under powered. A 1998 had a bigger engine and a lot of nice features over a 97. They are a very reliable well built combine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You'll get more separating capacity with a CTS over a walker machine. I don't know about canola but in rice we took the concave inserts off the back of the concave. That might be something to check on your other machines as well. There are some things to look for though that are unique to CTSs.
#1 Was this unit in rice ever? If it was check for the stainless steel upgrades on the backbone in between the tine separators.
#2 Check the wear on the tines on the separator drums and this means rolling the separator out the back.
Those are the big things we look for down in rice country that are unique to CTS. After that it's just a 9500 and normal wear points need to be checked. We have also put stainless steel above the cylinder housing and on the sidewalls of the cylinder. Just a few things to check that are different from walker machines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree with comments re wheat and barley. Dry canola tends to be over threshed in rotors, however, there were after market rotor covers which could be opened and closed. Also, we had a slow speed rotor drive... a larger pulley and longer belt.. which reduced shoe loss. CTS was not so friendly in green flax straw.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another consideration is whether or not straw quality is important to you. A CTS will make finer straw than a walker machine, but not as bad as a true rotor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We harvest Wheat canola peas lentils and flax with our CTS. We have upgraded the back beater to a precision back beater which solves the canola harvest issue. I have been side by side with 9610 I was going the same speed with less loss. To get the capacity in HRSW run the concave open a bit more than the 9600. Pre cleaner open 5/16, bottom sieve 1/4. The rotors break the unthrashed heads off the stocks and send them back through the return and then thrashes the heads.

·
Registered
349 Posts
run two of these, both over the 5000 hour mark. have been a very good and simple unit to set run and repair. no big secrets to set but are a little slow in canola.good concaves with blanks in the first couple rows and good rub bars are important.the coupler that joins the tines together at the rear can strip out or get very loose,change that. the smooth roller above the cylinder is prone to denting and the causes an annoying vibration,big job to change and hard to inspect.to rack out the tine modual seems like a big job but it's not. and then you can change out the tine bearings and inspect all the tines.all parts are usually on the store shelf.check the air to air cooler and make sure it's not damaged buy grain overflowing the hopper.it will flatten the fins on the fan side and they are 3600$.engine wise done a water pump injection lines oil pan and a fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
We ran a CTS2 for 10 years and it was a very trouble free good combine. We now run the much improved CtS with our 590r leaxion. With the lexion you are able to control the rotor speeds, you have a precylinder to remove grain before the cylinder, a shoe that shakes sideways to counter balance hills, a tailings return that you can view out your front window to help set the bottom sieve, rotor covers to prevent shoe over load, and a combine that is much less prone to burning when doing pulses. We got our CtS to spread straw well by changing the fin positions on the chopper and adding back swept angles on the very outside round plates to move air. Spreading the straw the full width of the cut is very important to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im an oat farmer, that has ran a 9600 for 15 years...I am needing to upgrade , but dont have the acres to justify an expensive purchase ..{ 500 acres per year }. We average 100 bushel oats. I have an opportunity to buy a relatively low hour, decent shape 1997 CTS, for a decent price....I dont know much about the cylinder -rotor combination on the CTS. A concern i have is the dehulling that conventional machines due, compared to a rotary....with the machine having both ...a cylinder , and dual rotors, will dehulling still be as bad ,or is adjustments able to tweak properly ?.....Any info on thrashing oats with a CTS would be much appreciated, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
It is a good oat combine. Dehulling will not be a issue if you set it right. It should have 10-15% more capacity than 9600 in oats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you for that comment, it also has an ail foil
Im an oat farmer, that has ran a 9600 for 15 years...I am needing to upgrade , but dont have the acres to justify an expensive purchase ..{ 500 acres per year }. We average 100 bushel oats. I have an opportunity to buy a relatively low hour, decent shape 1997 CTS, for a decent price....I dont know much about the cylinder -rotor combination on the CTS. A concern i have is the dehulling that conventional machines due, compared to a rotary....with the machine having both ...a cylinder , and dual rotors, will dehulling still be as bad ,or is adjustments able to tweak properly ?.....Any info on thrashing oats with a CTS would be much appreciated, thanks
It also has an air foil , ive read on here that a fellow is having a real issue with the air foil in his CTS. Wondering what ideas would for be used for adjustment to improve performance , thanks

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Just get a normal sieve to replace the airfoil from a weaker or after market supplier. The airfoil is not designed right and does not let enough air through the sieve. The 97 will have a little smaller engine than the CTS2/1998 version. Sometimes they were slightly underpowered if unloading on the go and in heavy crop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We had 2 CTS in the 90s. Wirst combine ever, because we grow a lot of canola.
They did ok in wheat, but canola was nearly impossible... 1.5 to 2 km/h with 6m header.
They were fully replaced by a Lexion 480 in 2003.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts