The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any place besides the JD dealer that sells the "Special Tools" needed to install the bushings and seals in the mechanical front axle of a 4960? I asked the dealer if I could borrow or rent their tools, but when they went to look for them, they couldn't find them. They looked in their inventory catalog and said they didn't even show that they ever had them.
So I wonder how they install them the correct way?

·
Registered
521 Posts
+1 for you, Ralf!

When I was reading HogMan's post, I was thinking the same thing that you wrote! You beat me to it...so +1 for us "thinking alike"!

(is it great minds or weird mind think alike?)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Ralf. I got the dealer to print me out the instructions that come with the retrofit kit. In there it talks about what you are talking about. That the new seals are "bellows" type seals that are supposed to seat themselves.
I bought a Tech. manual from the dealer for the 1100 series axles thinking it would have all the updates in it. Not so. The manual I got was the same one that came out in 1989. Instead of paying $70 to the dealer I could've bought the same thing from ebay for about $15. I guess you have to be a dealer or be good friends with the dealer to get the updates. Luckly I'm good friends with the top mechanic.
P.S. TxFarmer, is there any top soil still left in the panhandle? The other day when the wind blew 40 mph. I think it all blew down here.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The company, that makes the JD tools is service guard. But I don't know if it is owned by JD or not.
If you find the right size pipe you can do it, too. The instructions are not quite correct anyway. Don't push the big seal, that goes into the knuckle housing in all the way. When you install the knuckel housing onto the axle and steer the wheel later on, it will push itself in as far as needed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd have to agree with Tx. I'd wouldn't mind subscribing to something as long as it didnt' cost an arm and leg.

·
Registered
289 Posts
JD does not print any manuals anymore, except for what comes with certain kits. Every technician has a laptop now with constant access to the Deere network. That's how they look up tech manuals and parts. That way the manuals can easily be updated, too. It's the computer age.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I wish I had access to Deere's computer network. It would be sooo nice to be able to be able to read about disassembly (when working on something) and it would be very handy when ordering parts & trouble shooting, too. I have been to Deere's site pertaining to parts...I just wish we, the farmer, had the same access as the mechanics have. I would be willing to pay for a 'subscription'.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah, Motram, you're right...what you are talking about is what I was referring to in my previous post..I have been there & done that...

Again, what I wish for is access like my JD mechanic has! It would eliminate the need for these $high priced$ technical/shop manuals! Bet it will NEVER happen, though...it ~might~ cut into my dealer's shop profit(s) , and that just won't work (for them) !!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
You can buy the latest version of any Deere manual on CD for about $40 over the parts counter at the local dealer. It's way less than the paper ones and doesn't take a bunch of shelf space. When I quit Deere, I spent $600 on these and now I'm covered for any 7, 8, or 9000 series tractor and all combines built since '89. Engines too- 6.8, 7.6, 10.1, 12.5. When you order a bunch they can put up to 5 on one disc. They're in Adobe format so the pages look the same as the paper version, but they have a contents column on the left so you can quickly go to any section. Wouldn't be without them. And it has allowed me to cut into the dealer's shop profit. They've got very little work right now and I'm 6 months behind- 22 more combines to go through before August.

·
Registered
289 Posts
JD puts time stamps on some software, so it will work only for 6 months and then quit. I would only buy CD's over the parts counter.

·
Registered
521 Posts
DaveDan,

When you referred to the guy on Ebay selling the Technical Manual(s) on disc, you talking about the guy that is trying to sell them for $85? I wonder if they are the same thing that GreenTech is talking about for $40? It would not surprise me...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Im not sure. My CDs looked like copies of the actual CDs. Now that I think about it im not sure if they were producing them legally or if it was a dealer selling them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The CDs from Deere are white with their logo on it, a bar code, the manual numbers, like TM1623, applicable machines, and how current the version is, like 30MAR04. Also says "Unlawful to Duplicate" Heh, heh. I made the mistake of buying the first one on Ebay. Dealer was cheaper and faster.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:JD puts time stamps on some software, so it will work only for 6 months and then quit. I would only buy CD's over the parts counter.

Change your computer clock back to when you got the CD's and then open them up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts