The Combine Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Re: John Deere Rotors Repair/Maintenance Tips Thre

There is a grease zerk between the header electric clutch and the primary gear box (behind the cab)on 50 and 60 series. It greases the splines on the primary counter shaft running through this gear box. This zerk is not documented anywhere. I had a gearbox and counter shaft go out because the splines got dry and destroyed each other.

Change the oil in the feederhouse reverser as soon as it starts getting black. The might be several times during the season. This is most important during corn harvest. Always use synthetic oil in it. I would also recommend synthetic grease for the sheaves, because it withstands the heat better.
The same applies for the primary gear box (behind cab).

Keep your feeder house conveyor chain snug to spec. It makes the floor last much longer.

Hardfacing the augers in the clean grain handling system at least doubles their life. Most important are the fountain auger and the vertical unloading auger.
The latter one likes the splines to be greased well, what can only be done when it is taken out. Harvesting high moisture grain can make this auger be pushed upwards against the 90 degree gear box. Soon after that it will destroy its lower splines resulting in a new auger and a new shaft for the lower gear box.

The vents on the final drives (wheels) like to plug up, resulting in water getting inside and eventual corrosion. Check the oil at least once a year and make sure the vent is in the top most hole on the final drive.

· Registered
289 Posts
Re: John Deere Rotors Repair/Maintenance Tips Thre

Keep an eye on the large bearings in the shaker arms for the shoe drive. They do not have grease fittings and eventually go dry and fail. When they fail, it does not take long to destroy the entire shoe.
I give them a life time of about 800 separator hours. If the combine does lots of corn the life span is shorter, in wheat only it is longer.
They can be greased by drilling a small hole into the bearing seal and a grease needle on the grease gun. Then the hole needs to be carefully closed with silicon. But this is no guarranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.