The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the mid north of south Australia in some country ranging from slightly undulating up to 20% slopes.
We have been running a Cr 9.90 but it’s time to upgrade, Our local John Deere dealer can option a S780 with hillmaster kit on it quite a bit cheaper then a new Cr 9.90. I know the John Deere is a smaller harvester but I an thinking the hillside kit may compensate for this. The dealer has never sold any locally with hillside before so I am looking for any comments as to how effective they are and ongoing problems and maintenance concerns. Also interested to hear if there is any already working in Australia. Thanks for any help

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,975 Posts
Oooh Deere, big step backwards in capacity.

hillside JD may save more on steep hills than the CR but on the flat you will turf it out pretty quick

Have you some pics of your country?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I can’t work out how to post pictures. We really like the New Holland but with a 10% increase in price this year
the John Deere is looking attractive. We are concerned about power as we run a seed destructor so we may need to
look at a S790 or chip the smaller machine.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,975 Posts
So your saying a Hillsider S790 + a destructor to fit it, will be cheaper than a 9.90??

something not right here

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your saying a Hillsider S790 + a destructor to fit it, will be cheaper than a 9.90??

something not right here
We haven’t got the final quotes but it’s looking that way at the moment, we aren’t sure what we will do with the destructor yet as to whether we remove our existing one and put it on the new combine or replace it with a new one.
It sounds like a redicrop is easier to fit on a johnny
interest rates are also a lot better with John deere

·
Registered
11 Posts
We demoed a T670i with a hillmaster in alfalfa seed. in Eastern WA St. This year.

Combine does well in alfalfa seed, but Hillco will not supply a full leveler.

So our local dealer brought in a hillmaster from Europe. it worked ok but we have hill up to 35%
Can't run duals on it and any sloes over over 20% gets real dicey.
at least they tried.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We demoed a T670i with a hillmaster in alfalfa seed. in Eastern WA St. This year.

Combine does well in alfalfa seed, but Hillco will not supply a full leveler.

So our local dealer brought in a hillmaster from Europe. it worked ok but we have hill up to 35%
Can't run duals on it and any sloes over over 20% gets real dicey.
at least they tried.
Our dealer didn’t think we could run duals so that will be a deal breaker for us,
I think we may be better to go with New holland on tracks, there are a few track combines
running locally and owners are very happy with them in hills.We have done some modifications to the nh grain tray
that improves grain loss in hills. The extra cost of the tracks is not to bad but the full cost is scary like all
machinery these days. I’m worried with the hillmaster that our dealer has never sold and knows nothing about it.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,975 Posts
I didn’t know there were hills in SA that steep hillyfarmer. Would love to see them, or give us an approximate area location and I will see what Google earth shows up

I thought the purpose of levellers was to run duals as well for more stability:unsure::unsure: I wouldn’t know but, it’s billiard table flat where Iam

just push on the little photo icon next to the camera hillyfarmer and then upload photos
It’s very easy

·
Registered
922 Posts
We are in the mid north of south Australia in some country ranging from slightly undulating up to 20% slopes.
We have been running a Cr 9.90 but it’s time to upgrade, Our local John Deere dealer can option a S780 with hillmaster kit on it quite a bit cheaper then a new Cr 9.90. I know the John Deere is a smaller harvester but I an thinking the hillside kit may compensate for this. The dealer has never sold any locally with hillside before so I am looking for any comments as to how effective they are and ongoing problems and maintenance concerns. Also interested to hear if there is any already working in Australia. Thanks for any help
I think you should look at a Gleaner with duals. They are light and can handle good slopes without chucking it out one side on the back as the accelerator rollers give more even loading on the chaffer on slopes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geez that’s nice looking dirt where that air seeder is
like most hill country we have varying soil types ranging from black sticky soils, shallow limestone with bluestone reef to sand over clay. At the moment it’s all pretty wet, we had the plane in the other day to spray fungicides as we can’t get on it.
referring to ozzie’s post there aren’t many Gleaners left around here, 20 years ago every second combine was one but most people are New Holland or John Deere now, probably more to do with the dealers than the machines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts