The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the T670 performing compared to STS models...in small grains/canola? We run JD walkers:confused: and STS:mad: and I'm having a hard time being happy with these machines. JD walkers don't have enough capacity and the STS not very impressive in small grains and tough conditions. We also run a wide rotation of Canola, Wheat, Oats, Soybeans, Corn and need machines able to handle all these crops....would a T670 handle Corn and beans???

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was at a demo of a T670. I wasn't too impressed with it. The farmer had a 9650sts and it was harvesting more per hour than the T670. This was in barley. Farmer wasn't too impressed either.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Hard to believe that the T670 couldnt outperform the 9650,i am wondering if it was set up right,it should be able to perform like a 9770.But anyway,Deere northamerica is promoting those combines as small grain machines,but farmers all over europe run them as well in corn,beans,peas etc. with great success.

·
Registered
34 Posts
would you know the solution??
C670 the new CTS

I can't understand whi john deere stops cts in USA and whi stops to develop one CTS model more big like claas lexion 600

We have near us some sts but in only one year in my zone were purchased 5 CTS, only 1 Lexion and only one STS... whi????
Because CTS is the most powerful and flexible combine that john deere ever built.

T series during test in small grains and corn works good but another planet away from CTS in terms of quality and production for hour

We have CTS and we change only for other CTS

·
Registered
110 Posts
my buddy that sells green paint said the t670 was comparable to a 9760sts, not quite as good as a 9770. we demoed a t670 in 08 against our 9600s. we just had the combine, no salesman with it so i dont think we had it set up as good as it could have been cuz it was not out preforming our machines at all

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My boss traded his 9650 on one after I left for school, don't know what went wrong, but he had a New Holland in there shortly after the T670 arrived :eek: and there's some kind of deal being worked out to get rid of the T670 from what I heard. Don't know what went wrong.

I tell him to quit whining and open a Lexion dealership. :D

Bruce

·
Registered
34 Posts
i hope that deere change idea about CTS.
pay attention what happens in my zone this year:

2 new holland CR changed for 2 C670
1 lexion 470 changed for lexion 580
1 lexion 480 changed for lexion 580
1 claas tucano changed for lexion 570
1 claas mega in phase of changing for 9870 CTs (C670 is the restyle of 9780CTS have only 40 hp engine power rest is the same)
2 old walker JD combines changed for 2 9780 CTS
1 2266 JD combine changed for 9780 CTS
1 case ih axial flow changed for .. another 9780 CTS
1 new C670 arrives next season
1 deuz fahr changed for STS

you can see that john deere and class are hybrid combines, whi all change traditional combines for hybrid sistems?
this year we had a lot of soybead, i never see combining soybead at 2.00 am during a foggy night without problems, CTS DO THIS WITHOUT LOSS. STS DOESN'T DO THIS, lexion do this but must stop work before CTS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
brother had 09 t670 pushed as hard as could It was impossible to keep side by side of my 07 9760 in wheat conola was a little closer.
pros of t670
easily bale straw
push button hopper fold
cons of t670
small dia unloading augar
very hard to set for sample
impossible to unplug (broke wrench supplied)

We traded both machines off to a set of 09 9870s very happy with pref.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
  • Running a T670 this year in winter wheat, barley and alfalfa seed. Very please so far with its performance. Always had trouble with the old walker machines in barley with walker loss but didn't have any trouble with the T, the extra sep. cylinder seems to do the trick. It's also working very well in our a. seed, its got a cleaner sample than our 9610 and doesn't suffer from the tough conditions that our 9660 sts does in the a. seed. I was worried about plugging it in the hay seed but so far we haven't had to use the slug wrench and I hope I never do!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just buy an old 8820 or 9500 if you want a walker machine. I don't understand why anyone would want one now when there are so many better options.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Just buy an old 8820 or 9500 if you want a walker machine. I don't understand why anyone would want one now when there are so many better options.
Really? there are other crops out there other than corn, wheat, and soybeans. Did it ever occur to you that the "better options" for those crops don't work so well in small seeded hard to trash crops? It just so happens that a rotor machine doesn't work that well in ours and allot of other peoples operations. I just don't under stand why anyone would need a new rotor machine, I mean just buy an old 1460 IH thats good enough right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
  • Running a T670 this year in winter wheat, barley and alfalfa seed. Very please so far with its performance. Always had trouble with the old walker machines in barley with walker loss but didn't have any trouble with the T, the extra sep. cylinder seems to do the trick. It's also working very well in our a. seed, its got a cleaner sample than our 9610 and doesn't suffer from the tough conditions that our 9660 sts does in the a. seed. I was worried about plugging it in the hay seed but so far we haven't had to use the slug wrench and I hope I never do!
Hi!

You write about less walker loss especially in barley compared to the old walker machines. We still have quite high walker loss using the T-series especially in barley! Running the machine far away from its engine-capabilites just because of the seperation being at its limit! For sure we were having VERY green straw over here in europe this year, so really tought conditions!
Which setting are you using in barley ? Which kind of concave are you using ? Any modifiactions of the concave below the radial seperator ?

Christian

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi!

You write about less walker loss especially in barley compared to the old walker machines. We still have quite high walker loss using the T-series especially in barley! Running the machine far away from its engine-capabilites just because of the seperation being at its limit! For sure we were having VERY green straw over here in europe this year, so really tought conditions!
Which setting are you using in barley ? Which kind of concave are you using ? Any modifiactions of the concave below the radial seperator ?

Christian
I don't think my settings will help you much if your running in green tough straw, mine is all pretty dry straw. I will share them with you though who knows they might help. First off I found that the book settings for the T670 weren't even a good starting point. Cylinder speeds were way too low and the concave clearance was way too high. I ran the cylinder speed around 800-850, concave clearance between 0-4 (everyone questions this setting but I've found here that the tighter I run the walker machines the better sep I get of the grain and the straw IN the concave) tine sep was set to the - setting and on high speed. I can't remember exactly on the fan setting but it was higher than the book, I remember having trouble with shoe loss and just making a big move higher on the air and it really cleaned up the loss and the tank. Anyway I was cutting deep and rowing the straw so I was using most of the HP and was really pleased with the job it did.

BUT that wasn't the reason that we went with the T670 in the first place. We bought if for a Alfalfa Seed machine and it did an outstanding job there. I had my doubts about the extra cylinder and how it would handle defoliated hay seed but it did really well. Oh also on all our walker machines we always move the axles to the lower set of holes to raise the back end up and it always seems to help with losses. Hope something there helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting.... running the concave that close and cylinder that fast in dry straw ?? Usually you should get lots of chaff on walkers & sieves, so making separation worse...
I got the hint to go a lot wider with the concave and very high with the cylinder speed while filling the machine a lot just to reduce breaking up the straw too much.
I´ve tried lots of concave/cylinder-settings, but all that wasn´t working that well in "green" conditions...
If I can get not more performance out of the T-Deere, I´ve to mention that Yellow/bright green stuff works better under our conditions!

Christian

·
Registered
590 Posts
For Jd power82: When Deere loses enough market share they will bring back or keep the CTS. See thread on Class 10 CTS (basically a hybrid, walks, talks it is a duck). It will on the market soon, couple years in my opinion. Europe needs it and Deere has to be losing market share in US rice and Canandian prairies to Claas.
Just got back from a trip up Interstate 5 north of Sacramento, California, rice country. Saw at least 3 farms along the interstate with new Claas hybrids in the yard or field and their old JD CTS sitting along the road with for sale signs on them. Granted that is not a huge market, but the single rotor combine has its limitations in some markets, no matter what color. Bigger deal in Europe and Cananda than US, Deere has to stay in the CTS/hybrid market long term.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Interesting.... running the concave that close and cylinder that fast in dry straw ?? Usually you should get lots of chaff on walkers & sieves, so making separation worse...
I got the hint to go a lot wider with the concave and very high with the cylinder speed while filling the machine a lot just to reduce breaking up the straw too much.
I´ve tried lots of concave/cylinder-settings, but all that wasn´t working that well in "green" conditions...
If I can get not more performance out of the T-Deere, I´ve to mention that Yellow/bright green stuff works better under our conditions!

Christian
Yes I know that is what we always thought too, but that is what works for us. It seems to separate the grain from the straw faster than running wider. I've never harvested green straw grain before so I don't really know how those would work in your situation. Our Alfalfa seed is very green and tough, so much so that the rotor machines in the heaver hay just bang and make all kinds of racket then the mat in the rotor is so damp they won't separate the seed and just spit it out the back in rotor loss. The settings we use on the T670 are similar in A. Seed, Cylinder 0, Cylinder speed 900-950, De awing plates closed, separating cylinder on + high speed, Air 1050, Airfoil chaffer with 1/8" round hole screens. Worked really well for us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts