The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
If they had put the booms out on the Deere it would have been even more embarrassing! Seriously though if they were going to do a comparison in a muddy field they should have used a Patriot, that would have been more interesting.;)

One should not under-estimate the value of less weight. I used to have a Hy-Trux and it only was 2WD but it was light and it would go through anything.....with 9" tires!:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Hope my green sprayer starts so I can trade it off.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm a Deere guy but I'll be the first one to agree the 4830 is probably the most unbalanced sprayer out there. Not many apaches around here compared to Deeres though. Resale might be a reason though.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I told a rep... add front wheel hydrolic assist, like the spraucoup had and i would own one... people say you dont need it, but it sure helps holding the row.

·
Registered
122 Posts
being its an Apache video do you really think they would show the Deere being better at anything? the only fair way to compare is to have a 3rd party that has no incentive to "place" one brand higher than the other. I would really like to see a case vs Deere sprayer video that would be interesting to me, even though were a green farm i think i would get a case sprayer before a Deere one.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I had a Apache for 12 years put 3200 hrs on it and now have a JD 4730 the Apache was a good sprayer but after running the deere I would never go back to one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally find it hard to believe the lighter sprayer that's 2wd with 100 less horsepower will pull the deere like they did. Maybe with the 4830 in 4 th gear. We run a 4730 and I agree they might not be the best one, but lets get real. There are no apaches around here, they may be a good sprayer but I find the test alittle hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
One thing I notice is the Apache is running very little air pressure in the tires, while the deere's appear fully inflated if not over inflated. Thats an unfair advantage to apache.

I think similar results could be shown between two identical machines if one has Michelin spray bibs and the other Goodyear tires.

What sort of hydrostat system does deere use where they can spin only one wheel?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah who knows I found it on YouTube randomly. But hydrostatic drive does use more fuel and even tho it says the John Deere has 275hp it doesn't use anywhere near that. And hydros do have less drive efficeny. But they steer a lot better except in mud. I think hydros work best on mowers.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't doubt the apache is better in those conditions but that's just one day of spraying. A friend of mine from northern sask has been telling me for years his apache drives circles around the neibours 4830 in the mud. They also need less hp to do the same work due to the direct drive vs hydrostatic.
With only one front tire spinning on the deere they obviously don't have the traction control on at times in the video. Also did they take a run at the ruts the Deere was stuck in? Cause they did with the apache.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I know there are people here on the board that have apache's that like them and in no way am I downing your rigs. That being said our local apache dealer actually dropped them because they were so poorly built. Now this was his words not mine as I've never owned one just passing on the info from a former dealer. He was selling them in the real hilly country to the North, he said without exception he sold them to folks wanting to save money. He said they all regretted not buying a better sprayer because of all the down time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Apache owner

We have a apache 1010 With 1000 gal tank. I have never been stuck with it in 4 years and we get a lot of rain! I did miss the extra weight of the Deere either or all the hoses and drive motors. We had very little trouble with it. It is not perfect does a nice job.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I only know 4 guys that run/ran Apache's. 3 of them had to get rid of them because, they don't "break down" they literally "break". 2 of the three hired me because they couldn't keep their Apache together long enough to get anything done. The one guy said he can't do a half section without welding and he takes the welder to the field whenever he sprays as a matter of course. The only one that I know that still runs one really likes it but has only had it for 2 seasons and only farms 1800 acres. Having said that, my previous 4830 (2009) was good the first year, gave me some grief the second year and was a total lemon the third year. The thing was broke down all the time. The one I have now (2012) has been OK so far but only has 2 seasons on it. I'm liking what I see i the 4038 but can't afford the downtime likely with anything tier4.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We had an apache for quite a few years. We traded to a 4830 now but it's definetly loud in the cab but unbeatable comfort compared to the old 790. As far as booms go the deere is way better boom until the breakaways. We never welded on the apache boom but were very careful with it... The deere breakaway isn't nearly as nice as the apache with the shock on it... Deere slams back where the apache comes back gradually... However didn't really care for the apache when you took off and the breakaway would fall back... 790 was a great little sprayer but because of the multi deals with case the incentives aren't there for our dealer to promote the apache and as a result there's less parts for the apache now. The 1010 was the best machine apache made because it had oodles of power and was well balanced but any apache really sucks putting in auto steer because of their steering setup..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts