The Combine Forum banner

Are you ordering Jumpstart on next year’s canola?

• Yes

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 85.2%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My canola is all booked for next year, all with Lumiderm and I’m sitting on the fence whether or not I should include Jumpstart or throw the extra money at phosphate. I can’t say conclusively that it’s made me money in the past. Is it worth it to spend $4-$5 on Jumpstart?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I voted yes and base this on where I think the price of canola is headed for next yr and my anticipated returns/acre - IE if thought we were looking at 10 or even 11/b stuff likely would not bother. I have used it in the past when canola prices are favorable and not sure whether it works or not. However, I set higher targets on yields when price outlook is favorable and maybe just lucky, but seem to achieve them. Also, because of the very low seeding rate that have been using with planter the extra cost of this stuff really is not much of a risk. I am certainly not the farmer who has enough research years with the product to say anything that would impress the scientific crowd.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
I was wondering if any producers have side by side data showing any benefit from jump start. I wonder how many thing like this that we spend money on trusting the sales pitch we get that never give us any return or possibly lowers the yield in the end. I have tired different thing in the past that were sapose to boost the yield that actually decreased it and cost me money for both the product and yield loss.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Take this for what it’s worth but a guy I talked to who worked at a seed coater couldn’t figure it being too effective as It is treated and bagged long enough before its seeded. Didn’t think there’d be enough of the bacteria alive after touching the treatment. Probably better to use more phosphate.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I think not Lumiderm, going to try Fortenza advanced instead.
Which is quite a step up for me because usually I just go with helix and hope for the best.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Made my decision, no Jumpstart spend the $5.00 and put 10 more lbs of P in the ground.
I think you are making the right decision.
I have tried jumpstart in the past on canola, wheat and pulses.
Never have seen any yield increase.
Now I spend a bit more on phos and ATP Precede instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts