The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a bit of rain so I got a chance to upload some pics. So far harvest has been extremely slow with the bumper crop we are having it takes a long time to put all those bus through the bines. So far we have finished all the oats, barley,hard winter & spring wheat, peas, and soft wheat. We still have several days in Canola and a few qtrs of Canary seed and Durum wheat. So far the combines have run quite well with the exception of be plagued by software issues (like the combine closing the concave on its own or just having a total hyd shutdown because the computer feels like it)

All then thrashers lined up ready togo to the field Aug 8

Oats piling up high

Still missing one combine in this pic

This one looked really cool because it was raining at the time but it turned out a little fuzzy

Canola crop is 20bus above normal this year, nothing wrong with that.

Unloading on the go again

Heres my ride, since oats is so light I had one load that was 2006bus

My cab view, I have alot of tech going on

Filling a semi in 90seconds

One of our highway rigs, its pretty new to us still haven't gotten our name on the side

Bumper crop=lack of bin space

Someone stole our auger tires!

We got a bunch of rain this harvest so the regrowth on this field isn't hidden

I swathed one field in circles to see if it was more efficient and it was until we had to clean up the corners since we have square fields.

Get outta the way the 9870s can gobble up wheat in a hurry

Feel free to ask any questions, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Just a few small combines in SW Manitoba (pics

I was just messin around with the whole 'small combines' thing, anyhow

9870s with Macdon D60-D at 40ft

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sept 23, 2008, 11:27pm, jester wrote:Nice pics! Is that a 16104 Farm King? If so, what do you think of it? We are very impressed with ours!

Yah its been great for us so far only had it for 3 weeks, in Oats it can be powered by a 95hp tractor but in tough wheat you really need some horsepower, 130 won't do it. No doubt it is fast, we need to make our openings bigger on our end dump trailer because right now we open it all the way and still isn't feeding the auger. We also use belly dump trailers with it and we have a tridem with 3 hoppers and its so fast you spend more time moving the truck then you do actually unloading.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Awesome pics JD. Just a note. Be careful when burrying the auger wheels with grain. We had neighbours who pulled the wheels right off of theirs when doing the same thing. There's was a westfield auger though, the farm kings look to be a little heavier. I'm sure you guys have it figured out.

On another note, the same neighbours imploded one of their large quonsets this year when piling grain in it. Piled the grain too far up the walls, blew the walls out and sucked the roof in. They are calling it the Sask. Saddledome. Crappy situation, but at least they have a sense of Humour about it. I'll try to get some pics of it on here. Good luck with the rest of harvest.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts

You can also bend the tube down in the middle when pulling it out, which would also be ugly.
SK Saddledome, funny.

Don

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts

Look's like a nice operation you guy's have going, thanks for the pic's and glad to hear about the bumper crop!

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sept 24, 2008, 6:31am, gleanerf2fan wrote:Nice pics,

How does the 70 handle a 40ft draper?

Excellent, we have the xtra high capacity lift cylinders (the ones for corn heads) and it will lift that header like its not even there. We had to run the lift speed as slow as it would go, even on low idle. The combine itself is perfect for that size of draper, I can't say enough good things about the macdons. We were running around 4mph, in 60bus wheat with the knife bank pushed all the way in on the chopper with 1-2% losses. These combines throw over less grain than any of our other 9860s of the past. Some of you might notice the obnoxiously long augers compliments of stewart steel extensions, they are flawless as well and look like factory.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You can just barely see the Mac Mini tucked behind the screen. I got one of the newer intel models with core duo so that I can run JD Apex with windows. Most of the time I run excel and record every bushel that comes off every field. It works slick to use formulas to convert tonnes to bushels and adding totals. Then when I get a spare minute (which isn't often this year) I fire up front row and watch a movie or tv show. I have a head unit with aux in so sound works good. The whole setup is just run on a 300w power inverter that also runs the camera mounted on the cart. The screens are 10.4 lilliput and one is touchscreen and the other is not. So instead of using a mouse I just touch the screen. Then after harvest is over I have a nice media server for my living room in winter.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I was nervous about that because my neighbors buried there 13" farm king and they couldn't pull it out with the tractor but they were smart enough to wrap a chain around the axel before they buried it and it came out ok. I put the tractor in bull low today and creeped it out and it wasn't a problem, the 16" is built like a tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Nice pics! Just wondering where you got the auger extension? We cant seem to find one for a high unload rate auger
thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts

You can just barely see the Mac Mini tucked behind the screen. I got one of the newer intel models with core duo so that I can run JD Apex with windows. Most of the time I run excel and record every bushel that comes off every field. It works slick to use formulas to convert tonnes to bushels and adding totals. Then when I get a spare minute (which isn't often this year) I fire up front row and watch a movie or tv show. I have a head unit with aux in so sound works good. The whole setup is just run on a 300w power inverter that also runs the camera mounted on the cart. The screens are 10.4 lilliput and one is touchscreen and the other is not. So instead of using a mouse I just touch the screen. Then after harvest is over I have a nice media server for my living room in winter.

Very nice setup
Do the combines have Yield mapping, too?

Any reason why you use a semi with a tipping box, instead of hopper trailers? I would think a farm the size of your operation could benefit from using B-trains at harvest time... considering 1 cart load = 1 b-train load?

Hope the rest of your harvest goes well, and that it's a safe one!

·
Registered
886 Posts

You don't mind if I steal a few of these pics for backgrounds and MSN Display pictures do you? They're pretty cool.

[BTW: Check it out, 666 posts! scary!]

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

This year we use 4 SuperB's and would not keep up without them! You just need everything on remote control so you can control the auger leg as you drive in. We have it so you don't need to get in the tractor. The remote controls the leg, pto and throttle. Takes 9 min to dump a SuperB with the 16' Auger and 18 min with the 13' auger.

Of course if you have another use for the end dump it explains the advantage for you to use it. For us, Super B's connected or split are the only option as they are used all year round...not just harvest.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Jester,

Is it a purchased product that you use to start the tractor, pto and operate the swing auger? I have a 12v powered swing auger mover that I really like, but it would be nice to have the tractor warmed up a little and cooled down a little before and after dumping a load.

What hp tractor do you use on the 16" auger.

JDManitoba,

You have an impressive looking setup and some excellent looking crops and fields. I would never have a spot flat enough to make the grain pile that you are making.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

We have the GS2 screens in the swathers for half the season for auto steer and then the rest of the time they go into the combines for autotrac and mapping. As far as trucking we have a end dump trailer because we do contract work for the local elevator(hauling dust/refuse) I much rather prefer the dumping trailers, so much easier and faster because you never have to move once your positioned properly. I think we will eventually run several end dumps and get rid of our hopper trailers for harvest. You can get 37' tri axle end dumps so capacity isn't a problem since my cart hold 1400bus easily without being piled up really high. We have a super B but there is just no easy way to unload it, we use it in our privately owned elevator but dumping into an auger is just too much hassle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts