The Combine Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had 40 ton on the frame yesterday.... close but no cigar. It's not the bending, it's the twisting. Wheels don't lift on the same plane, walking beam isn't tracking straight, the frame rails that hold the rock shaft aren't flat anymore. I've located another center section so I'm going to swap the whole thing out and call it a day. I don't think limping through the last 300 acres is going to work. Might have to harrow it a couple times and plug the light duty cultivator through it.... put this job off for a rainier day. Got 19.2 mm last nite.

· Registered
3,980 Posts
Safety first!
Unless it gets in the way of production.
Hahahaha! Yes, I cringe at some of the sh*t I've done in order to get a job finished before rain and I'm sure I've invented more than one cuss word in the process. I'm very creative like that! Wife says it's one of the few things I'm really good at! ;)

· Registered
3,980 Posts
She's been on a seafood diet! See food and eat it!

When we make love, I have to roll over twice to get off her!

Last time she went for a swim, the tide was too scared to come in!

· Registered
1,620 Posts
I find I don't use hydraulic jacks, jackalls and come-alongs nearly as much since I got the really big hydraulic press mounted on tracks. With over 30 feet of reach, and weighing over 30 Tonnes, I don't find many mangled items that can't be coerced back to some semblance of straight when using the track hoe. And size is no issue. One of the first jobs I did was to untwists and straighten a 20 feet truck box that had been rolled over.

Reactions: whtbaron

· Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Wheatbarron our rock shaft on our IH cultivator twisted right off in the center section next to the wheels. I found a solid steel shaft at our scrap guy that I slipped down the rock shaft tube and plug welded it in. The rock shaft was not the strong point of these machines.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The rockshaft doesn't concern me as much as not being able to level the frame it sits on. No point putting another one in if I'm going to bend it tightening it down. Plan B is to replace the whole center section of the cultivator and that will come with another rockshaft that is hopefully straighter. I found a used unit in Sask. for $650 .... comes with spare cylinders ( I think I damaged one on mine since it no longer wants to stay in the "up" position) that I will likely have to rebuild (originals no longer available from IH and I really like the depth controls) , spare shanks and hopefully good straight frame rails and rockshaft. Getting it home will cost me more than the parts but I think it will achieve the best result possible under the circumstances.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I guess the update has been a long time coming. Over the last 2 yrs I replaced the center section of the main frame (including bent rock shaft), rebuilt all the cylinders and depth control valves, replaced worn shank parts and did a complete repaint with black shanks ( I think they are prettier). Yes... the temptation to paint it John Deere green and yellow did cross my mind, but couldn't do it to the old girl. It would have been a lot less work to just scrap the bent unit and buy another one, but this way I have it all the way I want...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts