The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 2388 Live in north central Oklahoma we raise Hard Winter Wheat. The variety is Endurance {is supposed to be a hard threshing wheat} The combine is set up with covers over the first and half of the second concaves. The rotor is set up with the Lowen after market AFX kit. last year I ran the machine to factory settings Pre AFX update. Had a lot of chaff and straw in bin, but every thing was thrashed and no cracks. I saw that when they changed to AFX they upped the rotor speed. Would this help me get a better sample or do I need to set my chaffer different? PLEASE... NO ANGRY WHITE MALES.... I have enough head aches as is.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: JUST A QUESTION

I would try and get a machine setting supplement from a later model combine manual with an AFX rotor and then try your initial settings from that. It sounds like you are on the right track. Someone may be able to elaborate more. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Case every year puts out a new productivity guide. Go in to your dealer and ask for a copy, it will become your best friend in no time. I have a copy in every cab so that anyone running the combines can make adjustments if I am not there. It also has a chart for every crop that shows you the recomended changes for dirty sample, rotor loss, chaffer loss, etc. I have found it to be a good guide as long as you remember that it is a starting point guide and not a bible!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

The reason you had everything threshed and no cracks was because of the covered concaves. I would go with that. I cover mine as well, and run a slow rotor speed to keep the straw longer and in the cage where it belongs.

If you want to try something, buy a few gorden bars and install them at about the third concave. Or buy 8 and install 4 at the third concave and 4 at the rear of the grates. You can leave your rotor speed slower and still get as much or more threshing and seperating action with the increased surface of the gorden bars.

I would ask what your chaffer is set like? Is the front section open as much as the middle? If so, it needs to be shut down a bit.

JMO, wutyapaid4it etc.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have standard rotor and fan speed is set at 1050 I believe. Chaffer is set to the book. Would it help to have more wind to blow the chaff and straw out the back end?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

open the concaves as much as you can while still thrashing all the grain out, go with doorknobs settings on the chaffer, and drive faster like aussiefarms said. slow the rotor up some. Also what grates and concaves are you running. Going to small wires and slotted grates could help some, also more wind could help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts