The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going from a Deere 9760 to an S88. Thousand sep hours, dealer serviced each winter. What will i like, what will i not like, what do i need to watch for?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Chopper knives wear out pretty fast. But there are way less of them than a deer. Sunny brook welding sells the best bang for your buck replacement knives.Augers are probably good for another 3000 separator hours.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have 900 SEP hours and towards the end of harvest the bearing on the main shaft in the electric clutches started to go and was moving in the housing and creating to much play and the clutches rattling when they were turned off. I centred punched and loctited it to finish harvest.
After harvest I pulled out the main shaft and engine PTO.
All bearings were good except the LH main shaft main bearing which was about to fail. The clutch bearings should be replaced or checked to save them wearing the housing. It's a fairly easy job.
The other shafts I would check or replace bearings are the pivot shafts at the back of the feeder house. They don't have lock collars and once they come loose they stuff the shaft.
Only over spot I have had trouble is the tensioner for the hydro pump. It needs a bit of steel welded in to triangulate the bracket and I fitted the spring set up of a 9 series and it now runs sweet.
We have a fine abrasive dust so bearing life will vary from area to area. Watch the outside of the cage for build up of stuff and in most conditions you can play around with covers etc to stop it happening.
Hopefully the previous owner looked after it as no matter what make if it's not looked after it will give you grief

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
What is your reasoning for how it prolongs life. I do start up and spin over during the of season. We only use our combines for 3 weeks of the year.

·
Registered
903 Posts
After you shut the machine off when it’s hot and working hard the bearings cool off, brings in moist air and the grease ends up in the bottom of the bearing. Top of bearing rusts just a little. I bought a combine and header years ago and there were a lot of failed bearings on it. Top of the bearings were rusty.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We bought our L2 many many,years ago with just 700 hours. Even though it had been stored inside most of bearings failed over the next couple years. The previous owner drove it hard and put it away hot. I'm in the habit of letting it idle to cool down with the header and separator running while tarping the truck at the end of a day. Even though it sits outside for part of the harvest season I haven't replaced a lot of bearings since those first couple years. Maybe 2 or 3 annually.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Going from a Deere 9760 to an S88. Thousand sep hours, dealer serviced each winter. What will i like, what will i not like, what do i need to watch for?
If it has the 2 speed hydro check the splines and do the update if it hasnt been done.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You will like your bin size and unload auger speed coming from the Deere. Not sure if the 8 series had the front feeder mod done from factory? If not dealing with high volume straw crops it may not matter to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will like your bin size and unload auger speed coming from the Deere. Not sure if the 8 series had the front feeder mod done from factory? If not dealing with high volume straw crops it may not matter to you.
I believe that change happened in the first year of the 9 series. Normally too much straw isn't a problem here as we are quite dry. Possible it'll bother in a good dryland malt barley crop i suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts