The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change up my drill for next year. Run a Bourgault 8810 with 10 inch spacing, MRB with NH3 and dry shoot, 3/4 inch openers and 3 inch packers. I want to get rid of the MRB so am looking at going to 3.5 inch paired row Dutch openers with NH3 down center and separate shoot so I can put sulfur down the center also. Was told that the packers are not really wide enough for those openers so was considering putting on 4 inch flat surface K Hart packers. Does anyone have experience with these packers or have a similar drill setup as this that could give me any advice ? I want the double shoot to try narrow up the seed rows, found we used to get better yields with 8 inch spacing so in my figuring doing this will make it roughly 7-8 inch space between rows? (am I right???) Also not happy with the performance of the MRB's so want to get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
We had K-Hart packers on two of our bourgault cultivators in the past. There was actually quite a few guys in the area that used them before the independent shank machines became popular. Ours were mounted on the back off the harrow arms. They worked great and required very little attention. With each one being individual they sure followed the seed row nice. If we ever went back to a cultivator for seeding with I would go back to them for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kevlar, thanks for the post. I'm in the exact same scenario. BG don't have too many packer options. We decised to order a 55' 8910 instead of one of the independents. Now I know the answer. Man, this site is awesome.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does K Hart sell the bolt on shank packers like valley packing?
We have the shank mounted ones and like them on a 60 ft 8910 12 in space.
I believe they do. Their website has everything they make. I gave them a call and found the guy very nice to talk to and wasn't pushy at all. What kind of openers do you have and what width of packer are you wanting? I'm not sure what I really need exactly , still trying to figure it all out. Just sooo many options!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a 8810 on 8" spacings with a 2" BTT opener, 3"x13" V tread walking axle packer from K-Hart. Dealt with Kim, very easy, good experience. I assembled everything packers, and packing arms. I had to run a die on all the axle spindle threads as they would eat the lock nuts. All assembled very happy with the setup. It moves us from shovels/harrows to reduced tillage. Still have to band the fert as we are single shoot. Packs well, the walking axle helps maintain packing pressure. No where near packing pressure of a 5810. We are clay loam with good to excess moisture so I think the packing is sufficient. The upside is, when you try seeding where you shouldn't be everything lifts up out of the mud!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have 4 in packers on 3 1/4" twin row openers at that 12 in spacing
I was always told go around 10-20 % wider than opener, not sure if that is b/s or not but seems to be what all the fancy 1/2 mill seed drills do.
Do you put NH3 down with the openers too? How about sulfer? Everyone seems to have different opinions on what is safe.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We use a 3.5" spread tip with a 3" poly packer on our 5710 and it works great.

All our nutrients go down in a single shoot, no nh3 or liquid handling. We use ESN to up the nitrogen without harming the seed.

One thing to note, it does take a bit more HP to pull these, especially in deeper seeded crops. I seed everything with them though, canola, flax, peas, lentils, wheat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.