The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long can you keep approximately 20% corn in a grain bin (with aeration floor and fan). This is assuming a half way normal winter (10-40 degree Fahrenheit weather). I was wanting to keep in until march. New to storing corn and would appreciate any tips or info, thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have done 20% corn a few times here if you can get a good freezing spell it will be best to freeze it and only turn fan on again in the spring .as soon as it starts warming up get rid of it or dry it, I had a few time that it starts to smell like making wisky nt good .

·
Registered
55 Posts
we try and run the fans hard as soon as we fill the bin with that wet of corn and after a couple of weeks run our bin controllers on 4-8 hours a day of run time for a month or so, then go to about 2 hours. Manual run bins, I'll kick on if the weather is dry and say 25-40 degrees, with my last couple of cycles maybe at night to chill it a little. If you don't have probes, run the fans and check the corn for smell, crustiness etc..

Core the bin, run the fans, check the corn. Should make it fine till March or later. ( just my experience, no guarantees ) done it way more times than would be preferred.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.