The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have trouble with hoses working there way out of manifold on our Flexi-coil 5000. Replaced sand paper that you stick on hose, but some still work there way out. It is more of a problem when sowing into hard ground. Has anyone know of a remedy.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Before we updated the heads on our 5000, we put screws in each hose. Then run a piece of wire from one screw, across the manifold and around the opposite screw. It's not pretty, but it worked!

Andrew

·
Registered
206 Posts
Make sure the hoses are long enough to have some slack in them so when they trip they don't pull tight on the snap back I ran a new drill that was set up with all the hoses too short and they kept pulling off the new style manifolds. If your hoses are new I would try the screws and wire if they are old replace them and make sure you leave some slack in them.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Duct tape around the hose worked for us back in the day. Didnt cure it completely but it made it bearable. Ran the 5000 series drills for 15 years.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had the same problem on our 820 airseeder towers. I just so frustrated with tape etc...that I just replaced the towers and haven't had a problem since...it's been about 4 years. Now I don't have to constantly looking back at the machine to see if a hose is off, very happy about that. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had same problem years ago on an older 5000. The key is the hose length. The need to be long enough to have some slack in them but not too long so that they actually start to loop uphill.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hoses

Years ago my dealer told me to drill holes down through the top of the manifold and run a very short screw into the hose. If the hole is big enough the screw only goes into the hose and wont rust into the manifold. Easy to remove and the hoses stay in place.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Duct tape around the hose worked for us back in the day. Didnt cure it completely but it made it bearable. Ran the 5000 series drills for 15 years.
Same here, duct tape. Vibration from shanks in hard ground is what works em loose. New hoses help as well, cause they are more elasicty than old hoses. We screwed hoses in our john deere 665 and the odd one still came out.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
We screwed hoses in our john deere 665 and the odd one still came out.
I know this is a bit off the topic make of Flexi coil, but what hoses did you have to screw on a 665:confused: I have for many years and still run one and have never had a hose come off or out of anywhere. Everything on the manifolds has been stretched to fit using a pipe expander and clamped with heavy duty bolt style double wrap clamps the exact name of which escapes me this morning:eek:, and at the shanks, the hoses are stuck inside the Deere broadcast boots and the hose is taped with duct tape to the shank about a foot above. Before there was hose clamps but they always got rusty and I was also in a hurry last time the hoses got replaced, so the duct tape got put into service. Or did you have aftermarket boots or something:confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know this is a bit off the topic make of Flexi coil, but what hoses did you have to screw on a 665:confused: I have for many years and still run one and have never had a hose come off or out of anywhere. Everything on the manifolds has been stretched to fit using a pipe expander and clamped with heavy duty bolt style double wrap clamps the exact name of which escapes me this morning:eek:, and at the shanks, the hoses are stuck inside the Deere broadcast boots and the hose is taped with duct tape to the shank about a foot above. Before there was hose clamps but they always got rusty and I was also in a hurry last time the hoses got replaced, so the duct tape got put into service. Or did you have aftermarket boots or something:confused:
Replaced all the JD hoses with 1 in poly, clamped 1 1/4 poly onto the manifold and stuck the 1 in poly inside and held the 1 in on with screws. Got tired of spending 35 bucks for JD hoses that would last a quarter as long as a $5 clear poly hose.

·
Premium Member
4,846 Posts
Replaced all the JD hoses with 1 in poly, clamped 1 1/4 poly onto the manifold and stuck the 1 in poly inside and held the 1 in on with screws. Got tired of spending 35 bucks for JD hoses that would last a quarter as long as a $5 clear poly hose.
Hey I see exactly what you were doing;) In twenty some years I've only replaced them all twice and I buy bulk suction hose for pumping water. It's the white stuff with the wire spiral in it so it don't buckle or crease. I think it was about $1.50 a foot for the small stuff. For the primaries it was about $2.30/ ft. Only reason I change them is cause it gets hard in the sun and then they crack where it bends. I had considered standard plastic, but from past experience with other peoples machines, once the hose buckled and creased, it wasnt long before it would plug off:mad:

Thanks for the explanation;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts