The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Someone who is at the world Ag expo this week should be able to drill the guys at Jd and find out what the plan is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someone who is at the world Ag expo this week should be able to drill the guys at Jd and find out what the plan is.
Yeah I was able to talk to one of the John Deere reps last week in Tulare, and he said that they are still trying to address some problems. Belts are lasting about 150hrs and the rolls are good for around 500hrs. They figure you'll dump around $12,000 a year back into your KP. For us it doesn't make sense at all. Hopefully they get a more reliable design that will last as long as normal KP rolls. We looked at Kooima's version of the Kernel Star and it looks really good. We saw one of their discs that had 1,500 acres run through it and it still looked new. I think that they are on the right track. We are thinking of maybe giving those a try.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
One thing to think about, no matter who's design of v roll processor you use, any hardware that runs through this style of processor will cause mass destruction. Won't get lucky and keep running with a small bad spot. You will probably be pulling out and doing big repairs. Sure does not seem to be the cure all yet, but hopefully it will get there for all brands that are working on them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't think it ever will work very well. It seems to me that when the rolls intermesh like that there is gonna be a spot where there is no speed differential between the rolls. In the deepest part of the V's it will tear the crop but somewhere in between its just gonna compress the crop and not tear or shred it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply looks as tho it isn't worth the extra money at the moment . What rolls are people using in the standard KP now we have tried Koomia saw tooth which were ok but nothing special but i see they do a dual cut roll now or is it better sticking with the standard JD rolls wich do work well.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Do you guys have decent luck with kooima stuff? Tried a set of knives and bolts a few years back, they were only good for self destructing.:mad:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the dual cut rolls from Kooima are actually built by Horning. We have had mostly good luck with the Horning rolls other than one roll that was not balanced properly. Dual cut is a good deal as far as capacity and processing job but all the little corners do wear faster than straight cut.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you guys have decent luck with kooima stuff? Tried a set of knives and bolts a few years back, they were only good for self destructing.:mad:
I hear you loud and clear on the knives! We ran a set through first cutting a couple years ago and then had to replace them. They wore out way to fast and wouldn't hold a sharp edge. Now we only run the knives from JD because they seem to hold up pretty good. However we do run the Heavy Duty Shearbar that they build for Deere and it is now the only one we will use. The longevity and durability that we seem to get with it is what I think they should all have due to how much they all cost! Other than pick-up teeth for our hay heads and spout liners, that about sums it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts