The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The manager at the Canadian vintage tractor museum in westlock AB. wants to do things for the younger generations. There is a pull sled there already but the owner preferred that it wasn't used if he wasnt the one operating it (it had been abused in the past) so I decided to build one that is overbuilt and hopefully can't be wrecked.... after all it's just kids on a pedal tractor.... what harm can they do...!?
And when it's complete I will donate it to the museum so that they can use it at will.
I decided to share the details here because I could not find much detailed info online. So i looked at a bunch of pics and threw something together. Please copy if you like and build one for your kids/grand kids/nieces/ nephews or whoever. Kids love it and hey we need young tractor drivers!

It's a bit of a work in progress and still have a few small things to do before it's complete.
20180404_210900_crop_540x530_1522901666566.jpg 20180404_210951_1522901324043.jpg 20180404_210927_crop_540x579_1522901656489.jpg 20180404_211016_crop_540x617_1522901705807.jpg

I designed a chain latching mechanism so when the pull is done one can push the brass knob down and let the weight box slide back which allows the springs to tilt the skid shoe back and lift on the wheels. Makes it easier for the sled operator to roll the sled back to the start position.
I used a sprocket cut in half and welded to a lever. It engages with the chain and pushes into the window cut in the square tubing via a spring.
20180404_211136_1522901724088.jpg 20180404_211052_1522901750979.jpg

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
That's pretty sweet. Is there a slip mechanism for the chain drive if a really torque'ee kid gets the weight box to the end?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Ok, I have to ask. Between your rat rod and the pull sled how do you have time to fix the farm equipment. Or does your equipment not break?:red-neck-laughing-s. Very cool though, I wish I had the time to do projects like this. Want some cows?:tongue: Also, when do they have their fair? I always hear about it after the fact.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naw... once the weight box is at the front and all the weight is on the skid i think the drive wheels will just slide without much torque on the axle... before i donate it to the museum i will get my neices to test it out!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I have to ask. Between your rat rod and the pull sled how do you have time to fix the farm equipment. Or does your equipment not break?
. Very cool though, I wish I had the time to do projects like this. Want some cows?
Also, when do they have their fair? I always hear about it after the fact.

Ha.. the excess snow in the field prevents us from using said equipment hence it's not breaking at the moment.... and no I don't do good with the whole slimey baby calf thing... we grain farm!

I'm not sure when the town fair is (I can find out if you like) but the Westlock Vintage Tractor and Machinery show is the first weekend in June. I hope to see the sled im building get a good workout there. And my rat rod will be there too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Local Junior Farmers Group have one. Kids to adults use it. Their weight box is pulled up by a cable winding up, with not slip clutch. It needs a heavier cable or someway to slip. Even the kids can break the cable when it tops out.
I'd be surprised if your chain would break. Definitely give it a good hard try first.
Wouldn't want to bust the transmission first time out and ruin the fun.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Awesome! My wife's grandpa built a bunch of pedal pull tractors and sleds. I remember them when I was little. Broke the chain on one and didn't get to ride them anymore. He sold the business years ago. Has a couple tractors around my kids love to play with when we visit.

He is 86? now and building a carousel in Shelby. The carousel he purchased and fixed it all up very nicely. Then built a building to put it in. The only truly public 24hr restroom in Shelby now. It will be in mid May or so after the grand opening.

Great story, thanks for sharing. I love seeing these types of things happening for communities. We need more social events to keep things real in these days of internet everything.

Hope the picture shows, a bit blury. He really likes this horse and doesn't let people ride it. Local volunteers and inmates at the local prison did the painting. Some inmates are very talented.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AugZcNFRl5qAjKlwBWIi00M0wIWqaw

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a bit more on the sled... .... there's still soooo much snow outside... I think I'm low on vitamin D.... 20180408_210754_1523249096299.jpg

20180408_210840_1523249116940.jpg

Installed a rear handle to reset after the pull... with an easy latch to hold the handle up.
20180408_210819_1523249151640.jpg

Also added a bit of a grab rail and a latch to hold the chain disengaged for moving the sled around. 20180408_210857_1523249275427.jpg
20180408_210913_1523249300884.jpg

Next is paint and some side panels.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished the project! 20180410_120812_1523416371945.jpg 20180410_120743_1523416393974.jpg 20180410_120724_1523416417569.jpg

Next is an old johndeere pedal tractor model D65. It came from my grandmother's farm. Guess I should have taken b4 pics... it had a hard life as is typical with them. Missing steering wheel and pedal crank, bent axle bent and rusted rims. It's getting a full heavy duty upsize shafts and sealed ball bearings... stay tuned! ?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You don't see too many row crop tractor doing tractor pulls, maybe need to get some weights up front to keep those steering axles down:p. Nicely done:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice job.... would you happen to have any dimensions or sketches you would like to share. I would like to build one of these for our local heritage club
Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't see too many row crop tractor doing tractor pulls, maybe need to get some weights up front to keep those steering axles down:p. Nicely done:)
Thank you! I rebuilt all the light tubing used for the steering mechanism using solid round bar... and the steering wheel is a cast iron oil field valve handle... we have used this tractor to pull for a couple years at our local vintage tractor show and the front end has stayed planted :)
Very nice job.... would you happen to have any dimensions or sketches you would like to share. I would like to build one of these for our local heritage club
Thanks
Sorry, haven't been on the forum for a while... but I'm back.. if you still have questions I'm happy to answer or take pics of some crude sketches... honestly though I really just winged the whole thing.. not much technical
After using it for a couple shows at our tractor club nothing I'd really change..
Found that with the gearing of the tractor for most little kids we leave the box empty and I typically stand behind to give them a little shove to get the rig rolling.
It's big. But I think the kids are more proud that they can pull something so large... the pivoting front skid with wheels is important as it allows the sleigh to roll from a start easier.
We had to add weight only for a couple kids that were almost too large to pedal the tractor properly.

**stay tuned, the local museum gave me a spare pedal tractor they had. I told them I will modify it to go with the sleigh. Plans are to stretch it out 6 to 8" so bigger kids can easily ride it and over build everything mechanical so its indestructible. And, add a adjustable seat so kids of all sizes can beat on it!

Lastly with regards to the sled, the rear handle is quite handy to pull the rig back to reset. And it was not intentional by design but my chain disconnect mechanism on the box is not only incredibly handy for moving the sleigh around [in and out of storage] with the free wheel latch, but it also allows the chain to slip if the kid reaches a full pull without breaking stuff...
The way that the half sprocket engages the chain with the spring allows the chain to slide over the teeth because it's only contacting I think 3 or 4 teeth of what was approximately a 20 tooth sprocket.

Like I said if there are any questions I'm happy to answer the best I can...
Or if you wanna look at it, you'll need to visit the Tractor Museum in Westlock AB.
Love the colors...nice work!
Were mostly a Case farm... but the tractor was a John deere and I had green and yellow paint ??

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Hey I seen your tractor in an article in the Better Farming magazine about the Tractor Museum in Westlock! Good article. How many tractors are in there, looks like a pretty impressive array you have there. Looks like the tractor you made is the first thing people see when they walk through the doors!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey I seen your tractor in an article in the Better Farming magazine about the Tractor Museum in Westlock! Good article. How many tractors are in there, looks like a pretty impressive array you have there. Looks like the tractor you made is the first thing people see when they walk through the doors!
I haven't seen the article myself... but the one that sits right in the front when you enter the museum is the setup I'm building to replace for the kids to beat on.... the tractor and sled in the front was donated years ago and the sled is a bit light for the big kids and the tractor is vintage and delicate.
Hense me building these to be abused.

I'm not sure of the number of tractors on display... it rotates because they have more than what fits in the building.
The collection is always growing and the museum is constantly expanding.

We're quite fortunate to have this facility in our home town. ?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PHASE TWO.

1. The local tractor museum was silly enough to give me a pedal tractor to modify to my liking....
So.. I cut it in half....?

You can see I got some neat little air filled tractor tread tires for the rear I'd like to use.

I'm considering talking the original rear wheels and putting them on the front......
Let me know what you think...

I'm going to stretch the frame about 10" and put a adjustable seat on it so big kids... [maybe adults.... (me)?] can play too.
It will get a 3/4" rear axle
Full ball bearings on the axle and crank
#40 roller chain should hold up for the drive.
Throw that plastic steering wheel in the garbage and put a good heavy cast iron one on for weight and character.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Nah, keep the small tires up front. With the nice wide boots in the back it will look mean. A fake chrome exhaust would be cool too. I should add my legs hurt already from thinking about pedaling those boots. Hi/lo range transmission is in order I think lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts