The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of taking out some CRP this year. On some of the acres I direct seeded peas into it and remarkably enough the stand turned out very well....except for the alfalfa. My first question I have is there any method to get rid of the alfalfa now before I desiccate it before harvest?

The second question I have is for the rest of the CRP. I have already sprayed it once very early this spring and much of the alfalfa is still growing. Does anyone have a magic bullet for killing alfalfa.

Thanks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We have waited til flowering (when it's pulling stuff into the roots) then sprayed it with a massive dose of roundup (72oz/ac). Also added 4oz/ac of dicamba to the mix. It seemed to work really well. We've done this several times.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had very good luck when I sprayed dyvel in my wheat, it killed the alfalfa completely and never came back,almost better then roundup.
On irrigation I killed alfalfa with a plow,a plow with 16' bottom's and 18' shears for a good overlap,it killed it for 98%.

What is CRP?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
16 foot bottoms?!:eek: :D

My magic bullet for killing alfalfa seems to be wanting it to last. :D

**** stuff grows along the shoulder of the road for decades, next to a field it dies out in.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
CRP is, what, "Cropland Reserve Program" or something like that? It means ground that has been put aside to not be farmed for a length of time, you get some gov't money to put it in reserve.

·
Ken Adams
1,350 Posts
Direct seeded RR canola into some alfalfa that did not get precut gylphosate last summer and because of very little regrowth, glyphosate and 24D had little effect spraying after cutting. Sprayed Eclipse at 40 acre/case rate (.112L/acre lontrel) and sure knocked alfalfa down, but after 2 weeks I am not sure if I knocked it out. After talking to Dow rep, I believe I should have doubled the amount of Lontrel,

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
I have taken out CRP in the past 3 years. Roundup doesn't do a very good job on its own. Adding 1-3gallons/acre of 28-0-0 helped, still not great, does help a lot with the grasses. LV6 24D at 16oz/acre knocked some back rather well in fallow. Sprayed some for a neighbor with Roundup at 320z/a and Banvel at 7oz/acre last fall and it looks to have done a good job. Spring Wheat is even looking good. Killing Alfalfa in peas, never tried that yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, but when I looked up the label for Eclipse it said it would kill volunteer peas? I'm trying to kill the alfalfa that is in my peas without killing the peas...I know it's not normal.

And yes CRP stands for conservation reserve program, this is some leased land I just took over this spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On our farm 2 litres of round up has taken out alfalfa very well.
We have had luck with two different methods.
-desicate 3 days before cutting.
-Or we spray "28 days" after we cut the first cut.
Then we heavy harrow the field a couple of times 2 weeks after spraying. Let the last few stragglers of alfalfa regrow till late fall. Wait till there has been some freezing nights and jump back on sprayer when temps are above 10 degree Celsius and spray with 2 more litres of round up. don't touch the field until spring and alfalfa is gone. We have had very good results, tank mixes not needed.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have used Curtail M in Durum wheat and it controls it very well. Roundup after that in the fall seemed to make it disappear!

·
Ken Adams
1,350 Posts
Direct seeded RR canola into some alfalfa that did not get precut gylphosate last summer and because of very little regrowth, glyphosate and 24D had little effect spraying after cutting. Sprayed Eclipse at 40 acre/case rate (.112L/acre lontrel) and sure knocked alfalfa down, but after 2 weeks I am not sure if I knocked it out. After talking to Dow rep, I believe I should have doubled the amount of Lontrel,

Thought I might share, just an update on how Eclipse is working - alfalfa
1st picture - no chem, 2nd and 3rd about 50 meters away with chem

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
We always used roundup and banvel to kill our alfalfa over the years. Lontrel leaves a residue which we didn't like but we did get it into the rotation somewhere before planting alfalfa seed because it knocked out other legumes. also no way to get it out of peas I don't think. too close a relative. drinks the same brand of beer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts