The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe it was you on another site saying you put on the swept
back paddles on the accelerator,with slow down kit.I wanted to ask if you seen a big change in corn quality or just a minor one.You also stated that you leave them on for all crops.Did you see any difference in thrashing wheat .Just concerned that it wouldn't be aggressive enough.

thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes it seemed to make a significant difference in corn. Last year in S ontario, our corn did not quite finish off properly due to a very cool and backward sept. This caused some lower test weights and fragile kernals. We installed the swept back paddles and it lowered our fines by .3-.5%. These paddles have been on the combine ever since and have not created any problems with feeding. I had some good yielding wheat (120bu/acre) and we are now into very high yielding corn (200++) and don't see any ill effects in feeding.
The edible been slow down kit gives you the 320rpm setting and I think it is also a field installed option. I have never change the speed from the 320rpm, or changed back the paddles to the straight ones.
No doubt there is conditions that warrent a higher FAST speed, but not in our crops and conditions. I know many other operators around me who have also had similar experience.

We deliver to 2 different elevators and after we got things set, we had the best grades being delivered. Some other operators had similar grades, but none that I know of that were better. I use the elevator as a pretty accurate barometer as to how we are doing interms of settings. So far, my experience has been that I can consistantly be the cleanest loads delivered. I am not saying that we are head and shoulders better, but we are at the top in terms of dockage. Some other operators are the same, but I have not seen any better. These machines will do it, it just takes a bit of knowledge some time.

·
Registered
588 Posts
We were already running the FAST on the low speed, so the swept back paddles did make a difference. I don't think it has ever been on high speed. Something to watch for, the manual for some machines (maybe all) has the speed selection wrong for FAST. You want the belt on the bigger pulley on the front, and smaller on the rear which is the driver. Just something to double check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinzepower
After further investigation I find out that the previous owner had the slowspeed
pulleys installed.So I'am already 1/2 way there.One question though.Did you change both the speed and wings at the same time or did you do one at a time to see which made the biggest difference?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts