The Combine Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tech said he checked compression. Both plugs were burning a nice tan colour, so he says. So it wouldn’t have been running lean.
Oh well it will be fixed tomorrow. Thx for all the advice everyone offered.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Aluminum piston and hardened steel valve and the valve burns first?. They must be putting cheese in their valve compound when forging. Valves will eventually burn with many many hrs of use as does the electrode on a spark plug. I don't think a EFI Kohler has been around long enough to wear out 2 spark plugs let alone a valve. Higher octane makes it burn at a cooler temp. First thing that should burn on a lean event should be the piston. That spark plug must be white to achieve that amount of heat.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
That's why I wonder if the valve was hanging open for some reason, either the stem clearance or something going on with the hydraulic lifter. Then again it could be poor workmanship or material quality control. Keep in mind where they are made now ( or so I believe, hint ... it may have caught a virus ! )

·
Registered
153 Posts
Worst problem I've had with those engines is gas seeping into oil when its cold outside. When running it shoots a big blow of smoke out, then clears up just to do it again. Anyone else have this....and if so is there a fix?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I had valve troubles. First I had intermittent valve rattling as a lifter would stick. Change oil, add sea foam usually cleared it up for a while. Then showed up as low compression one one hole. Found one valve would leak when filled with solvent, and the machine shop thought they saw signs of a leaking head gasket while they ground the valves.

Put all back together, ran better, but the lifter issue remained off an on, changed out all 4 lifters, hasn't done that since, but while doing so, discovered that one lifter was quite sticky in the bore, Ended up polishing the bore with the engine assembled, couldn't see any other easy option.

Still have intermittent problems with over fueling, blowing smoke, gas in the oil, fouled plugs, running like crap and low on power.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
That's why I wonder if the valve was hanging open for some reason, either the stem clearance or something going on with the hydraulic lifter. Then again it could be poor workmanship or material quality control. Keep in mind where they are made now ( or so I believe, hint ... it may have caught a virus ! )
Could have been a bad valve seat or face right from factory.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts