The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 29hp efi Kohler on a Sakundiak apparently froze up and blew the crank seal out. This engine always gives grief. The last time the the fuel line to the fuel pump rotted out and filled the crankcase with fuel. Am I the only guy this happens to? My Kohler dealer said I was first efi engine he ever seen freeze up like that. Ugh!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 29hp efi Kohler on a Sakundiak apparently froze up and blew the crank seal out. This engine always gives grief. The last time the the fuel line to the fuel pump rotted out and filled the crankcase with fuel. Am I the only guy this happens to? My Kohler dealer said I was first efi engine he ever seen freeze up like that. Ugh!!!!
Kohler engines are no longer the engines of yesterday where they made their reputation. Since 2007 they've been made in China FWIW.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Cover the fan intake and keep the engine warm helps a fair bit.
Thought I saw actual winter fronts for those things someplace.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Cover the fan intake and keep the engine warm helps a fair bit.
Thought I saw actual winter fronts for those things someplace.
We use a grain sample bag, it stays sucked on the fan. Cover half, remove and plug crankcase breather hose. That fixed our 37 HP carb.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
We use a grain sample bag, it stays sucked on the fan. Cover half, remove and plug crankcase breather hose. That fixed our 37 HP carb.
We use a grain ticket as we have multiple in the trucks and if it gets lost grab another.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My Kohler dealer said I was first efi engine he ever seen freeze up like that. Ugh!!!!
It doesn't matter what you do to it , the crank case always fills up with gas and if started with too much gas in oil case you will have engine failure. No nice way to say , kohlers engines suck and have caused me so much grief over the years until two years ago I switched to a Vanguard engine. I have owned 7 kohlers engines and they all leaked gas into oil. Even with shut off valves installed. Dealer said a valve usually gets stuck partially open from dust or dirt and gas drains by it. JUNK , Once gas gets by, .... you start having stalling problems and hard starting. One day I had three super b' trailer waiting and I couldnt get my 3 month old Kohler going. Had to drain the oil and refill it .
Nothing works perfect , but I can definitely say you will be happier with a Vanguard. Currently have a 37hp Vanguard on a meridian 10X46 auger.
If you want more info there was a thread on here a couple years ago with some good options of engines.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Guess I've just been lucky. Have 3 Kohlers with carbs, all 27 hp, of various vintages from 20 years to 6 years old. No problems with any of them other than the charging failing on two of them. Magnets probably came off the flywheel. No gas in the oil ever. All of them have the cold weather setup where you pull air through the muffler. I've ran them at -30 with nothing over the intake screen, although I will do that next time! Good idea.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We tried to trade our kohler efi on a carb version. Had to trade off the whole auger off. No one wants the Kohler efi engines. They are pretty much junk when the weather is below freezing, not much better above freezing. The old carb versions will handle a murder dose of ether to get them going when its cold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guess I've just been lucky. Have 3 Kohlers with carbs, all 27 hp, of various vintages from 20 years to 6 years old. No problems with any of them other than the charging failing on two of them. Magnets probably came off the flywheel. No gas in the oil ever. All of them have the cold weather setup where you pull air through the muffler. I've ran them at -30 with nothing over the intake screen, although I will do that next time! Good idea.

Yeah i've been monitoring oil temp just by feeling the oil filter. Past about minus 10 it usually takes a winter front to get them warmer than warm to the touch.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My experience with them much the same as yours.
Initially had trouble the fuel pump would loose prime so they warrantied that pump and gave me a new one.
That didn't fix it, turns out the spring steel hose clamps on the fuel hose would let air in put some regular screw clamps on it and not a bit of trouble since.
Charging quit buggered 2 batteries flywheel magnets fell off to my surprise found them all stuck to the armature. I found some you tube video by lawn mower repair guy Taryl? he had a process to sort out the magnet poles space them and JB weld them back on to the flywheel, did that 10 yrs ago no issues since.
Lately it ate 2 sets of ignition coils started missing so replaced them with an update kit then one of the updated coils packed it in.
Mine doesn't have the cold weather kit at all and it has the high mount HD canister intake filter.
Like others have mentioned cover the front the fan suction keeps the rag in place.
I usually use just a piece of blue jeans cloth, cover the front fan fully until the oil filter warms up then uncover the fan 1/3 to 1/2 under load.
Mine has really run under some severe cold conditions and must be approaching 15 years old so all in all not the worst engine.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We loaded 20 some super B’s between Christmas and New Years in -35c temperatures with our 35hp efi with no troubles. Had front of motor covered up and air intake is taken off the manifold. For the carb Kohlers we always took the crankcase vent off when temp was below 0.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
We took the crankcase vent off our Kohler and just left it off. Didn’t see any reason to have it going back into the carb. It’s only for emissions that they put it back in the intake. Our vanguard came with it off right from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts