The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Take the hose that runs from the top of the valve cover to the air intake and extend it a bit and let it dump on the ground. Seal off the hole on the air intake to prevent it from sucking air or by-passing the filter.

My Neighbour does this as he believes that the warm air is causing condensation and icing up the carb float.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Our 30 horse does that in cold weather and I haven't had an answer for it, perhaps there is some truth to the crankcase vent hose issue. Ours has the winter kit on it to help warm the air coming into the carb so I've just assumed the engine is not running hot enough and sobering fuel. Part of the cooling fan intake should be covered up but I haven't rigged anything up to control the air flow but it stands to reason its getting way over cooled in extreme cold. Right from day one I had issues with the crank case slowly filling with fuel from another issue, because the float doesn't seem to have the ability to hold the fuel back when there is any pressure in the plastic fuel tank, just shutting the auger off and its sitting there, especially with a full tank of fuel and the auger cranked up higher so the tank moves higher above the engine, that was bad news. I put a ball valve in the line just after the fuel tank and turn it off when I shut the engine down and that solved that issue as it was happening winter or summer and the engine wasn't running when this would happen.

I did notice a neighbor that had what looked to be a winter front that somehow attaches onto the side of the engine and had flaps that could be opened to allow some air through. It looked very professional the way it was made and not sure if he had it made or its something that some company has created.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
In colder weather we just throw a heavy rag or something over the side of the engine. The suction will keep it in place.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
It got me thinking, it would be more garbage to go wrong on an engine but if they had a heat sensing shutter system that controlled the amount of air that flows over the engine could be a good idea, in theory anyway.

Perhaps a heat sensor unit mounted into the air flow and a gauge to observe would be another idea if it could handle the engines vibration as I could see a guy melting down an engine if one misjudged the amount the intake air fan was restricted. Yes, the nice part about a liquid cooled engine for sure.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I cover our auger engines up with a rag or a peice of paper. Our Kolher still seems to get fuel in the crankcase. I judge how warm it is getting from the oil filter temperature. If it's getting to warm to the touch I uncover a bit of fan intake.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Not sure if it would work. Mount a tank lower than engine. Have a 12 volt pump circulate gas past a t back to the tank. When you shut it off no fuel to flood carb. Best tank is a 20 liter jug with lines into cap. To fill tank just put another jug in place. With a big enough return line there should be no head pressure. With a motor running the carb will lift fuel. It doesn't need head pressure. That is how they put the extra tank on a generator or 4 wheeler. You seal airvent with a hose into a jug.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
You could add some deicing additive to the gas. If the carb is icing up. Borrowed one of my uncle's Honda engines when the Kohler was broke down under warranty. He said he adds something similar to heat, in silver container. Never has a problem. I tried it and no problems after that. My Kohler has cold weather package and I do not add anything. Carb has never iced up. Cold weather package in simply a special muffler with a tube running through it to warm the intake air. Intake air is pulled through this tube. Doesn't take long and this intake air is above freezing. A quick google search and found a pic of the cold weather package.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Even with the cold weather package those carbs can ice up because of ethanol and the blow by going back into the air intake. But this is when it's cold. I cover the intake with a dish cloth and that helps. The worst are the kohlers with high set carb and air intake. Had a command 30 with that and what a cold pig. Blow by (I call it that) froze and pressured up the crank case pushed out the crank shaft seal. Oil was all over the place. Pushed it back on and thawed the blow by and away she went. If you're having trouble freezing pop the dipstick for the time being.

·
Ken Adams
1,357 Posts
I have a 25 hp one on a auger and I get fuel in the oil especially in cold weather anyone experience this and have a solution.
Along with suggestions that have been made, because fuel pump is mounted directly on rocker arm cover, I wonder if there is any chance diaphragm could be leaking and pumping fuel into engine. If you thought maybe, I would remove rocker cover with fuel pump intact-ed and look for fuel wash.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
We just pull off the crankcase vent hose off the carb on our 36hp Kohler. Been doing this for 8 years now and still going strong. Would like to build a steel box that goes over whole engine with doors to get at controls, but never seem to have enough time to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.