The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’m in the market for a forage harvester and found this Kongskilde FCT1060. Anyone out there with experience in using one?
The pros and cons? I'll use it primarily for chopping corn, around 120acres per year.
Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
These are the JF Stoll units that kongskilde bought out a few years ago if I recall? I definitely heard good things about the JF units, we very seriously considered one when we upgraded from our JD pull type, their all inline design is very power efficient, and I know the cross auger was a choke point on our previous pull types, so not having one is an improvement in my mind.

However, the fact that the cutterhead is also the blower means that there is no kernel processing ability, which is fairly important in mature corn silage. I realize there is technically a 2 row corn head as an option, but for only 120 acres a year, I’d try real hard to bring in a custom operator before I made the effort to put a silage crew together yourself and still end up with less than ideal silage. Corn isn’t cheap to grow so you may as well capture all the value you can

Now, if you’re also chopping a few hundred acres of grass or alfalfa silage, this narrows the gap considerably. From what I remember, they were competitive with small self propelled machines for overall throughput in those situations. Do you have a dealer or support close by?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they look identical to the JF. What I like about them is the fact that I don’t need a 200+ hp tractor. I have a 4650JD and afraid of running out of steam when pulling a FP230 with KP.
I did use a custom guy last year, they got the job done, but did a terrible job at packing, it was more like pushed into a pile. 1/3 of pile was spoiled. And I’m afraid that they will not show up or not in time.
Farm World SK is my closest dealership for parts. I talked to one of their parts guys and they have most of the everyday parts in stock. On the more serious parts they have a lead time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We pulled our Jd 3975 for quite a few years with a 4640 jd, power was only ok, a power shift tranny would’ve been a better fit than the quad shift. We run a JD 7300 spfh these days and whenever we cut for neighbours we encourage them to pack with a tractor as well as the one 4wd with a blade we bring (we pack with 2 all the time at home) would your custom guy consider an arrangement like that? My favourite line during chopping is “the guy packing is the only one making silage, everyone else is just burning diesel...”

The parts support does sound encouraging. Our jd dealer is good to work with, but they don’t actually have much experience. We consult with a dealership in southern Alberta on some things

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, they look identical to the JF. What I like about them is the fact that I don’t need a 200+ hp tractor. I have a 4650JD and afraid of running out of steam when pulling a FP230 with KP.
I did use a custom guy last year, they got the job done, but did a terrible job at packing, it was more like pushed into a pile. 1/3 of pile was spoiled. And I’m afraid that they will not show up or not in time.
Farm World SK is my closest dealership for parts. I talked to one of their parts guys and they have most of the everyday parts in stock. On the more serious parts they have a lead time.
I asked a Newholland dealership about getting parts for our Jf 1355 and they said they can't get parts. Only soil prep equipment from Jf.

I used pentagon farm equipment in westlock AB. They had all the parts I needed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sure did. Picked up the truck back in November and have been taking our time getting it ready. Had CIM put a silage specific box on it, just put the mud tires on the drives, just about ready for battle. Pretty pumped to finally have a silage truck with air conditioning and no holes in the floor 😆

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked a Newholland dealership about getting parts for our Jf 1355 and they said they can't get parts. Only soil prep equipment from Jf.

I used pentagon farm equipment in westlock AB. They had all the parts I needed.
The same here in Mb, I asked our Newholland dealership as well. The machines are showing on their system, but they can’t order parts for it.
Are they reliable machines?
The one I’m looking at comes with 2 row corn header, but I want to change it to a 3 row. You think the 1060 will be able to handle that?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sure did. Picked up the truck back in November and have been taking our time getting it ready. Had CIM put a silage specific box on it, just put the mud tires on the drives, just about ready for battle. Pretty pumped to finally have a silage truck with air conditioning and no holes in the floor 😆
Saw it last Friday I believe. I like the colour, dairy milk blue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts