The Combine Forum banner

krone big m 400

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  xCustomFarmingx 
#1 ·
I am having problems with the cutting not being good . in the morning the machine cuts perfect and in the afternoon it cuts awful. does anyone know how to fix this or is there anything i'm doing wrong.

#2 ·
What are you cutting? To make them cut fine short grass the blades need to be very good set fairly low and the forward speed a bit on the slow side.

High lift Crop lifters on the ends of the turtles help a lot too, but you need to do a few things to make clearance for them if you put them on all 23 discs.

If the pulleys are worn on the tine conditioner drives they will slow down and mess up the cut too.

#4 ·
I have never cut wheat but have cut almost every other miserable plant known to man. The crop lifters were likely the best improvement that I ever made. I don't have the part numbers with me. There are left and right turning versions. You get a set for one turtle with each part number. They replace the shallow cast piece bolted to the turtle with a wedge like one that is about an inch an a half tall. They just transfer heavy material back through the machine much more aggressively and stop the cut material from pressing down on the uncut plants.

You need to torch out clearance on each end of each header for the lifter. You also need something like a 2x6 wood shim under the center drive boxes to stop the cutter bar from flexing up in the center and the top of the lifters touching the bottom of that drive unit.

I run without curtains on the fronts, but running without the lean bar and shield sounds scary if you ever see one of these things self destruct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.