The Combine Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
A different thought, I wonder if there are metal particals in the intake system somewhere and occasionally one gets picked up and wedges between the valve and seat? Most components are aluminum and rubber with some steel tubing, not sure aluminum from the compressor on the turbo would be hard enough to do that plus it would get filtered out passing through the charge air cooler?
A bad injector causing uneven heating of the valve?
Could water in fuel do something like that? Those miniature explosions caused by superheated water?

Good luck, something like that on a newer machine sucks. We have a 2016 750C and so far the Cat has been flawless other then losing 12 gallons of antifreeze while in storage last winter (must be an Oring leaking when really cold).

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Speaking of the turbocharger. I’m wondering what those chunks did to the turbine??
If there was damage to the turbo ( I can't see how there would not be ), turbo pressure could be reduced which in turn may cause more engine heat if the fuel is still being fed at the same rate with a reduced intake manifold pressure. Just a thought as it may be smart enough to back off on the fuel as the intake manifold pressure drops.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I don’t have the specifics. I was at a service clinic for claas forage harvesters and it was a talking point on the newer machines but ours is older so I didn’t pay a lot of attention

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
It looks like MAN has developed a rocker arm with a tiny hydraulic self adjusting valve lash adjuster incorporated into it. This only seems to be a feature on the larger industrial engines commencing in 2021. There’s no mention in here of such a system for the lighter duty glorified speed boat and military engines out there. This is still just a bandaid on the problem IMO.

MAN Engines develops maintenance-free valve train for industrial engines | MAN Engines

21 - 25 of 25 Posts