The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running Kuchar concaves in the 9500/9505 series Massey/Challenger combine? Looking to improve efficiency/sample/power. What is their longevity?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone running Kuchar concaves in the 9500/9505 series Massey/Challenger combine? Looking to improve efficiency/sample/power. What is their longevity?
Twin Stacks...this is off topic, but I did see an old post where you had a 9700 white parked in your shed. Do you still have this machine. We need a good rotor for our 9720 or 8590 combines. If you have one or know of one we would sincerely appreciate it. Many thanks for your posts and all the best in 2020. We have several of the white articulated tractors including a 4-270. long story...tic tic noise would become apparent around 220 hp and get louder at 290 on the dyno. Prior to this we had the head done (leaking head gasket) new turbo and had the fuel pump rebuilt. This is when the noise started...we tore the engine down and checked every mechanical part in that engine..everything was perfect...had the head rechecked...no problem...had the rebuilt diesel pump installed.....same problem....cracked the injector line open on number 5 cylinder,,same noise.....checked injectors..all perfect. Interchanged no 1 injector and number 5 injector same noise.....pump back to rebuilder.....everything checked out 100 percent. We thought that number 5 cylinder was being overfueled creating this noise.....any suggestions....3306 engine thanks
bill ...any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated on the rotor and the tractor

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twin Stacks...this is off topic, but I did see an old post where you had a 9700 white parked in your shed. Do you still have this machine. We need a good rotor for our 9720 or 8590 combines. If you have one or know of one we would sincerely appreciate it. Many thanks for your posts and all the best in 2020. We have several of the white articulated tractors including a 4-270. long story...tic tic noise would become apparent around 220 hp and get louder at 290 on the dyno. Prior to this we had the head done (leaking head gasket) new turbo and had the fuel pump rebuilt. This is when the noise started...we tore the engine down and checked every mechanical part in that engine..everything was perfect...had the head rechecked...no problem...had the rebuilt diesel pump installed.....same problem....cracked the injector line open on number 5 cylinder,,same noise.....checked injectors..all perfect. Interchanged no 1 injector and number 5 injector same noise.....pump back to rebuilder.....everything checked out 100 percent. We thought that number 5 cylinder was being overfueled creating this noise.....any suggestions....3306 engine thanks
bill ...any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated on the rotor and the tractor
Yes we still have the 9700 in the shed but need to find out who actually owns it, brother or dad. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks as he is on vacation. I would rather get rid of the whole works because once I start dismantling it is only worth the price of scrap iron.
As far as the tic in the engine, could it be an exhaust gasket leaking, have you checked the camshaft lift or even the pushrods or rockers? Sounds like you are checking everything I would have checked. Have you checked with Cat? I would love to own one but sounds like parts are getting hard to find. I think I'll stick with my 4-150, 4-210, & 4-225 as I don't need a nother big horse. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before we quit using it the rotor was rebuilt/balanced in Worthington, MN & I rebuilt the rotor drive gearbox, rebuilt the 3 speed transmission, & adjusted the final drives preload,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before we quit using it the rotor was rebuilt/balanced in Worthington, MN & I rebuilt the rotor drive gearbox, rebuilt the 3 speed transmission, & adjusted the final drives preload,
Twin stacks would it be possible for you to e-mail me your phone and e-mail information
we are interested in the combine. [email protected] phone 1-519-360-7121
thanks very much.
Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run a 2012 9540. It is equipped w Kuchar concaves and, as of one season now we are running a Kuchar modified rotor. I took the factory rotor out and went to George and helped him do the retrofits myself. The factory rotor was a nightmare in my book, and George helped me understand why . CaseIh also had a rotor of similar design on their early 7010 and 8010. I happened to see 2 of these rotors in the junk yard at my local CaseIH dealer. The design just didnt work to well. The thrash elements are to small and stand off the rotor too far. Works in rice they say, but I had a lot of trouble in late beans and light corn. Interestingly Agco hired the engineer from CaseIH that design the early 7010 8010 machines. I think they called it the small tube or small diameter rotor , the thrash elements then stand high . I like my Kuchar setup. My next complaint is Id like an airfoil cascade pan and a fan speed up kit along with an extended return pan.. Anyone know of a kit for this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll worry about the rotor later, why do the kuchar concaves work better?
I started with Kuchar concaves then did the rotor. In the 9540 the Kuchar concaves reduced mog on the sieves. A Kuchar concave keeps more material up in the rotor cage. the wires are flush with the bars and the wires are spaced farther apart than standard wires. There is a lot less friction because the crop mat can smoothly go across the concave since the wire is flush w the bars. If I have trouble threshing I put a few blanks in and speed the rotor up till its threshed. The Kuchar concave will improve straw quality a lot too. My wheat straw can be mistaken for walker machine straw. An other advantage is Kuchars concaves work in small grain, corn and beans. Excellent in beans .

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you don't mind me asking why do you want an airfoil cascade pan as for corn & soybeans you keep this closed.
Only reason I think I want it is because I put one in my 9690 and love it. Im on hills half the time and sieve length seems to help a lot. Maybe someone has a good solution for making a 9540 a decent hillside machine? I keep looking at Gleaners, wondering if that wouldnt fit my landscape better than an axial machine. But Massey Red runs deep in our family so........

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 9790 & made one but didn't like the sample w/corn or soybeans as there is no air on the front of the cascade pan & more toward the rear, always had more pods & tips of cob but I am flat as a pancake & didn't need extra length.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The air ducting on the 9540 on the top of the sieve (like gleaner has) does not produce enough air to separate that much material coming off the rh side of the concaves. With the Kuchars don't you have to run faster rotor speeds with tighter concave clearance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The air ducting on the 9540 on the top of the sieve (like gleaner has) does not produce enough air to separate that much material coming off the rh side of the concaves. With the Kuchars don't you have to run faster rotor speeds with tighter concave clearance?
Depends on crop volume. I found it works pretty good to pull concaves up in light crop and open in heavy crop. in light late beans the 9540 rotor intake pitches crop way back and I still got unthrashed pods in my bin even if I have 5 blanks in. 3 on right side and 2 on left. Only thing I found to help this is rotor speed. My 9690 has Georges rotor in and the rotor intake flight pitch is more gradual, pulling the crop slowly into the front of the rotor rather than wiping it back and up around like the 9540. Pulling crop in with a gradual pitch intake flight allows crop to get threshed over a set of blanks if you have or need blanks. When you look at a 9540 factory rotor there's so much room for pods to escape between and around the narrow thresh elements, this is where my 9 inch thresh bars help
KIMG0615.JPG
KIMG0633.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depends on crop volume. I found it works pretty good to pull concaves up in light crop and open in heavy crop. in light late beans the 9540 rotor intake pitches crop way back and I still got unthrashed pods in my bin even if I have 5 blanks in. 3 on right side and 2 on left. Only thing I found to help this is rotor speed. My 9690 has Georges rotor in and the rotor intake flight pitch is more gradual, pulling the crop slowly into the front of the rotor rather than wiping it back and up around like the 9540. Pulling crop in with a gradual pitch intake flight allows crop to get threshed over a set of blanks if you have or need blanks. When you look at a 9540 factory rotor there's so much room for pods to escape between and around the narrow thresh elements, this is where my 9 inch thresh bars help View attachment 158494 View attachment 158495
Here are several pictures kinda mixed together but you can see what I mean , theres so much room for pods to sneak thro this rotor from factory. the 9 inch bars do a more thorough job, but this modified rotor still isnt as good as the Kuchar replacement in my 9690

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes we still have the 9700 in the shed but need to find out who actually owns it, brother or dad. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks as he is on vacation. I would rather get rid of the whole works because once I start dismantling it is only worth the price of scrap iron.
As far as the tic in the engine, could it be an exhaust gasket leaking, have you checked the camshaft lift or even the pushrods or rockers? Sounds like you are checking everything I would have checked. Have you checked with Cat? I would love to own one but sounds like parts are getting hard to find. I think I'll stick with my 4-150, 4-210, & 4-225 as I don't need a nother big horse. Best of luck!!
Troy did you happen to talk with your Dad and brother about the ownership of the 9700?
could you e-mail me your phone and e-mail information. my e-mail is [email protected]
thanks bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any news on the 9700 combine
please give me a call 226-626-7092 jwp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts