The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I need a new concave & bars for my 9650 walker before I start fall harvest. I was wanting to know any experience with Kuchar parts like concave & filler plates for a conventional.I know I asked opinions on filler plates before but would like them again . Ill be harvesting corn in the end of aug in ec ks @ 15-16 % & soybeans in oct . it seemed ro me to do a good job Ive always had to put in a full set of concave inserts .
thanks
SW

·
Registered
321 Posts
Go with kuchar filler plates, a st.john welding hardfaced 13 bar concave with the corn inserts in, and a set of loewen chrome bars. Will last 2x longer, cost 1/2 of the kuchar setup and combine capacity will be excellent.

jd

BTW i'm in SW MO so our conditions/crops are almost identical....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks .do you have to take out the filler plates for soy ?if so how big of a chore is this ? do you have a problem with vibration ? capicity aint a issue in corn we are only running a 6 row ( we just run longer days not as economical on 900 acres of corn ) will go to 8 this fall do have 930f.
what town are you from in mo ? we are on the neosho river in the leroy ,burlington , neosho falls & kincaid area . how do your crops look our corn is looking great beans are a little water logged & a lot of replanting

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also why do you like these particular components ? did I mention mainly corn N beans very little wheat performance in wheat not as important . any other tip or modifications for this machine that u would recommend ?Like back beater speed up kit installed in reverse or a differnt feeder chain ? I think my weakest link in the machine for capacity is straw chopper especially if group 5 or late 4 bean stems are tuff , A dry ear on a green stalk is fine but a dry pod on a green stem is the [email protected]##'s !

One more thing what about leaving the feeder chain on high speed sprocket for increased feeding capacity in beans or wheat ? any neg effects to this ?

·
Registered
321 Posts
with the kuchar plates you don't have to take them out for beans, however I have got in the habit of taking them out after corn (time permitting) due solely to the fact of not having to worry about dust build up - I usually have some milo to cut and if the fillerplates have any dust trapped that's when vibration becomes a problem when I speed the cyl. back up for milo - if you have beans only after corn you will see very little difference in performance with them in or out. Cylinder vibration in beans with the kuchar plates is way less than with deere fillers, but you will still have some.

If you have a cordless elcetric impact, it takes about an hour and a half to pul the plates out. I prefer to pull the feed plate and hinge for easier access.

I'm near Liberal, MO - most corn is 3/4 stand at best but looks ok for what it is - beans are looking good and the milo I have to cut looks good.

jd

·
Registered
321 Posts
kuchar plates help roll the ear against the concave in corn - I have run with them in and out and from now on I will always run them.

Sj. Concave is a excellent piece - costs less than OEM and lasts 2X longer if not more - I will probably use 3 sets of chrome bars before I have to change my concave. It's beefed up and built by a top notch guy in my opinion.

Loewen chrome bars - as good or better than deere parts, cost about 225 less a set a hardware is free

Yes on running the beater at 125% - works excellent in wheat/beans - I have yet to run it in corn but think it will aid in separation even at lower cyl speeds.

I run an oem style chain and slats - just keep chain tension and drum height set properly. Run it on the slow speed sprocket - saves a ton of wear on the chain and will feed fine.

Does your chopper pull hard or does it plug?

jd

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in tuff conditions itll slip & if its bad enough itll plug so I usally have to pull the stationary knives .so you leave your feeder chain on slow for corn too .
people have told me that filler plates make it pull harder in beans . so take em out aint to big of a chore?
ThANKS

·
Registered
321 Posts
make sure the stationary knives have a good edge

keep chopper blades in good shape, once they are worn about 1/4 the way across at the tip, I turn or change them.

make sure your chopper belts aren't glazed over and check the pulleys on the chopper drive system to see how bad they're grooved - the 2 on the rear belt are usually the worst and cause slippage even when the belts are tensioned properly.

it is no fun cutting tough beans with jd OEM filler plates, with the kuchars the front face of the rasp bar is exposed so the bars can pull material thru easier and makes it alot better.

If you still plan on pulling the fillers, 1.5 to 2 hours will get it done.

jd

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The chopper drive is the most lacking part on the 96XX combine. I wish someone would make a dual belt drive for the secondary. If the straw/stalks are tough, ground speed is governed by the low speed chopper light.

I'll second the St. John welding concave. It won't start to belly out immediately like the mild steel oem ones will.

I also like the beater speed up mod. It really helps in milo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thaks for all the advice .I keep my knives in good shape I guess its the weak point of the machine. do you feel like the beater speed kit would benefit in beans & corn ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use the kuchar fillers and they work well, also the beater speed up kit in corn worked well with no cracking issues. Ive ran the feeder house in high speed in wheat but not a good idea in corn since your going to be speeding up the feeder with the hydraulics to get the harvest speeds correct.
Has anyone noticed in really light wheat or barley crops that when the feeder house is in the higher speed or larger sprocket setting that it has a harder time pulling material from the header unless theres a decent length of straw? Seems cutting a short crop this year doesnt work well but in seasons past I would run the feeder house in the slow speed, and never noticed it being a problem no matter how worn the head was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts