The Combine Forum banner

Kuchar STS rotor

18K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  catfarmer 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Kuchar STS rotor or know what other guys think of there's? We ordered one last week and i am just curious what others think of it. We also ordered the Kuchar feed accelerator at the same time.

#4 ·
We ran his elements last year and really liked them. So we decided to go with the complete rotor and feed accelerator. I like the idea of the adjustable paddles instead of the tines at the back of the rotor. The paddles shouldn't break like the tines do and you can adjust the paddles to move the crop through faster or slower. I like the feed accelerator because it's enclosed and dirt can't get in. We had some trouble with the accelerator vibrating last year.

#6 ·
55mph, dave?
about the concaves, it depends on what you cut the most of. the kuchar concave is going to have more capacity in all crops, especially corn. as far as a clean sample in wheat, thats debatable. the deere small wire do an excellent job, but you will overload the rotor a little sooner due to the fact that the opening for the grain to fall thru is much smaller than the kuchar. as far as corn, no comparison. the kuchar outperforms the deere round bar 5 to 1. much cleaner sample and alot more capacity. also very nice not having to switch concaves when going from crop to crop. little more expensive but we'll sure buy them again

#8 ·
We harvest mostly peas, lentils, canola and wheat. I'm not worried about the performance of the Kuchar concaves in peas, lentils and canola. It's the performance in wheat that i'm worried about and for the price
i can't just go and throw in a set of concaves and see how they work.

#9 ·
i got to thinking, we didnt do a very even comparison because we ran them in a 9560 in wheat and when we went to the 9660 we ran the deere so the bigger machine and more sieve area might have had more to do with it than the concave. if it was the concaves tho, its not enough of a difference that i wouldnt buy them. i think you will be happy with them .

#10 ·
Sounds good! Too bad the STS's (no matter what vintage) cleaning system can't keep up with productivity like that. It would be a great machine if so. I can't comment on the Kuchar rotor. But, to a factory STS rotor, ground speeds like you mention result in the crop being a vomiting agent to the rotor, losing grain everywhere. I know, I use to own STS's.

#11 ·
I just really like the idea of not having to take the concaves out. We only have small wire concaves and we take them out and pull every second wire for doing peas and lentils. It's not bad taking the wires out but a bit of a pain to put back in. We also have trouble with straw spearing in the concaves because of the wire holes. The welded concave seems like a good way to eliminate that problem.

#17 ·
I ran all small wires for lentils last year think it worked good but didn't do any peas. The Jd dealer here sets them up for peas and lentils with small wire in the front and the back two with wires removed which is what I did to set it up for this year. I am considering the Precision concaves when switching to durum, they are half the size so they are a little lighter to handle. And then a guy might get away with maybe only replacing a half if some kind of damage happened. They have from what I underestand a small wire where the gaps would be tighter than the JD small wire for eliminating white caps. Thought I would throw another option at you to help make the decision harder yet.

#23 ·

The first two pics show how much more open the Kuchar impeller is. The next two shows the Kuchar bars compared to the Deere bars. The two after that show the paddles that Kuchar used to replace the tines on the back of the rotor. Then there's a picture of the step on the Kuchar rotor where the rotor gets larger in diameter to take up more space in the back of the separator. And i threw in a picture of his feed accelerator so you can see what it looks like. I think it looks like it will work better. The Kuchar rotor is also about 1500 pounds where the factory rotor is about 900 pounds. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on these differences.

This post has been deleted
#32 ·
I think the answer is it doesn't work well in all crops, and the Deere rotor has to work in all crops or they couldn't sell them around the world. I can't wait to hear your experience.

Who says the Deere or any other factory rotor works well in ALL crops? Like you say they have to stike a happy medium. Plus they don't like to use some of the outside ideas because it kind of calls their babies ugly.

#25 ·
It will probably take less horsepower to turn this rotor because of the weight. It is the same concept as a sunnybrook cylinder in a JD walker machine or the high inertia cylinders that Massey had. The more weight, the more momentum. The more momentum, the harder it is to stop or slow down. Therefore i think less horsepower and reduced fuel consumption. As for the paddles cracking grain, i think as long as you get your concave clearance and rotor speed set correctly, it shouldn't be a problem.
That is just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.