The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a Kugler fertilizer meeting last spring and there seemed to be a lot of hype about it then. Am wondering if anyone did any test trials on this product in 2014 and if so what were the results? Mainly interested in spraying it with either herbicide or fungicide applications.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes that's one product that is similar - 6-24-6 is very close to G22. I know b/c we had both side by side this year and have used Alpine for 12 years now.
We have been using G22 foliar as well with herbicides around 2 lt/ac. What rates have you tried?
But I don't know of anyone else having a low salt high N foliar product . CRN is close but 30% slow release N and Kuglers XRN is 70% slow release N with a salt index of 6. 28-0-0 has a salt index around 60.
They are both good products but not copy cat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
About six years ago my boss tried it on 60 acres of potatoes banded pre-plant, and on the other 60 acres of the field we used conventional liquid in the band. Everything else was treated the same and at harvest I counted trucks and he had about a 10% yield increase on the kugler half. The profile was also more uniform and marketable as well. We also dug a two acre test plot on each side of the field and ran the trucks over the scale and the numbers were the same as when I counted loads. From the road the kugler side didn't get as rank or have as dark green color so we wondered if the fertility timing was the key. Since then he has used it on his potato crops and have had good results but we haven't done any trials like the first year. After seeing the results I got excited and chemigated it on an alfalfa field I have. I tried it twice and never felt like I saw much response. My opinion is if your growing a high return crop like potatoes or your worried about salt it is fine but I haven't felt like it's worth the extra cost on the hay and grain crops I grow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I`m not a dealer, I just don`t like to bash products or companys. I will give ya long and short of it. Ive been using foliar fertilizers for 5 years now and have seen results every year. I have tried and weighed trials every year to back up what i see for my farm. I like most products, tried most products on mainly HRS wheat and CPS wheat. I encourage others to try it. I started out using these products to try to help with the ergot, but at same time was seeing other rewards, yield, protein, disease and ergot. Being that most of these foliars can be added with a herbicide insecticide, or fungicide, it is great not having to add another pass( I`ve tried additional passes, but havent seen it to be any more efficient). I also dont try cutting my fertilizer package back, I dont believe in under mining the nutrients, I think it will catch up to you in the end. There are more and more different producst every year it seems, with the newer ones always called to be bigger and better. I Started with a couple fields of wheat, and now do all the wheat, and started with canola. Biggest bang for your buck i find is adding a foliar with the fungicide treatment. As fusarium seems to be a rising concern these days, I see very low levels. Prices per acre can very from $6 an acre to $18 depending on which product(s) are used. I am sticking with the $6 an acre product, as it has never performed less than anything else.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have switched to totes. A lot less handling. 1.5L an ac rate with fungicide. I have done tissue tests before and after applications. They didn't say much for being deficient, copper and magnesium would be lowest. On a check strip u would always see the top two or three rows on the tip of the head to be full with the foliar and not filled on the check. Straw height was same. Was deceiving to years ago, check was taller. Until we looked closer the treated was fuller heads and they were bending over, looked shorter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.