The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew some L140 P this year, was my best yielder and was strait cut. The strait cut was a month later in maturity and took twice as long to harvest = 2x the fuel, labour and depreciation on machines so looking at the late swathing option for next year as well. The Bayer data I am seeing says 2% yield increase between 50% and 90% seed color change then another 5% from 90% to maturity. My question is to those that grew it as well did you swath and see a yield increase over other varieties? Did anyone do a late swath vs strait cut comparison? Trying to see if the Bayer data is accurate.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had it as well against L262 in the same field ,and the L 140 P outyielded the 262.
The swathing was on the late side on both and also straight cut some 262 to have a comparison.
No difference between swath and sc on the 140, but a 6 bu diff between swath and sc on the 262.
Maybe i'm cracy but doing all 140 next year.... not sure yet if i'm gonna swath any canola next year.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I had two trials this year, both had 5440, L252, L261 and L140P. First one had a Lumiderm strip of 5440 as well.

First one
There was a 5BPA spread from lowest to highest. In order from low to high: 5440(both with/without Lumiderm were the same), L261, L252, then L140P. L140P won by 2 BPA.

Second one
Again Low to high: 5440, L252, L261 and then L140P. L140P won this trial by 4BPA!

What is the difference? After the first trial(in which I had delayed cutting the L140P by about 4 days more than the others based on seed color change) I realized it was not shelling at all and swathed very easily. I then delayed the swathing of the L140P on the second trial by almost another week??? This was later in the season and not super long/hot days. I also swathed the L261 on the later side which leap-frogged it past the L252 in yield. The L261 did not swath as easily as the L140P at the riper stage and there was more shelling.

There IS something to the later swathing. I'm not sure if straight-cutting would gain anything more over a very delayed swathing operation except saving the swather pass??? I guess L140P gives you the option of either. Earlier in season the straight-cut may work better too?

I have attached a picture of cutting the L140P in my second trial so you can see how ripe it was. I also have booked L140P for all my 2015 canola acres.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
We also swathed some L140P insanely late and had very little shelling, so late it made this big fluffy swath that I thought would blow really bad but never got any real bad wind.

Ours matured really even and quickly. Hit it with roundup and combined it the same time as the swaths on the half beside it.

Were 3/4 L140P and 1/4 252 on our Invigor acres this year.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We have tried the Invigors over the years and never been real impressed and stuck to RR but when L140P became available we thought that taking yield aside the prospect of spacing out canola swath timing and straightcutting with larger headers and possibly getting by with one high priced SP windrower instead of two made sence to try it. We left it to SC and we found virtually no shelling or pod drop even after 12" of snow, hard frost and wind, we had to really work the crop with the reel to harvest it. We could harvest at nearly the same speed with 40ft headers as we could with 35ft swaths. It yielded as good as all the other varities we had so we will increase acres of it for this spring and try again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We also swathed some L140P insanely late and had very little shelling, so late it made this big fluffy swath that I thought would blow really bad but never got any real bad wind.

Ours matured really even and quickly. Hit it with roundup and combined it the same time as the swaths on the half beside it.

Were 3/4 L140P and 1/4 252 on our Invigor acres this year.
Did you roll the late swath and if so how did it work?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Our L140P was our best yielding canola. It was slightly taller than the Dekalb RR variety we had. I noticed more lodging where areas were double seeded. Other than that no complaints. Half of our canola will be L140P in 2015,

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Did you roll the late swath and if so how did it work?
Yeah we left the packers set where they were and checked a few times and shelled very little. The big fluffy swath was concerning though with memories of that big wind still fresh. This season was our first for straight cutting canola and doing it again I would have just left all the L140 stand.

·
Registered
273 Posts
May I ask what header you were using? Pea auger?
SWMan we are using 640D JD with reel flip kits, pea auger, and to aid in better feeding under the center feed drum that is not floating we have installed the feed drum from the 640FD which is smaller in diameter giving it more clearance for bulky crop to flow underneath.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.