The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going through an old brochure earlier for L2 combines, in which they offered a rubberized track option. Did anyone ever go this route when buying one of these old girls new? How did they work? I don't suppose there's any of these still around is there?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
check salvage yards in rice regions, California, Arkansas, etc.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a set! Excep they are advertised for F and M series gleaners. Anyone know if they they were interchangeable onto L series? Only reason I'm thinking of going way of the old, is I've looked at a few different makes of new ones, and I could be wrong but I don't think anything new will fit on my machine

·
Registered
24 Posts
prolly cheaper to get some big rubber on er, those combine go thru alot before they get stuck. The thing only weights 18k empty

·
Registered
537 Posts
The ones off an M will fit. You need to be aware that if you do use tracks, you'll need to change the location of the driveline/countershaft on your grain header as it will be in the way of the tracks. Most guys here ran a jackshaft above the original drive shaft position. This was on an M2, L2 isn't any different. Lots of tracks were sold around here in the wet 80's, likely quite a few gathering dust in the back of drive sheds across the Thumb.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
F through L series had the 10 bolt wheel pattern, same as a semi truck.

F had lighter finals, could clear a 26 inch rim, L and M series share the same final and axle beam, and can barely clear a 30 inch rim.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know guys, thanks. It will usually travel across anything being as light as they are, but it just won't stop raining here, and I'd like to have an ace in the hole, as they say, just in case things get dicey.

·
Registered
361 Posts
unless you have a rear wheel assist,,,, you will have serious issues turning with the tracks. We ran them in Ark and La in the 70's... 28.1l-26 R20 rice tires will be a better option. Be sure to check the LH nut on the final drive axle - under heavy load they will unscrew and cause a mess. We had a couple of F3's set up this way - they will float - but you need a 16' head. 23.1 26 Rice will work on a 13' about as well. Have a set up you need them... PM

·
Registered
384 Posts
What do you have on your combine now for tires? I have 30.5 by 32 on my L. Floats really well. Just don't drive into a trench dug by a backhoe the previous year. Had fun getting that out!
I know where there is a set of 26" wide tires and rims (don't remember rim size) not far away, off of a JD 6620. Not sure if they will fit a Gleaner.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Checked on the tire size. Choice of two sizes available. 28L26 or 30.5X32. 8 bolt pattern. If you have 26" rims now and need to go wider, your narrow rims could be split in half and weld in a band to widen the rims out to 28". The owner also knows where to get new centers made for the rims to match a different machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts