The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going through an old brochure earlier for L2 combines, in which they offered a rubberized track option. Did anyone ever go this route when buying one of these old girls new? How did they work? I don't suppose there's any of these still around is there?

· Registered
1,098 Posts
check salvage yards in rice regions, California, Arkansas, etc.

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a set! Excep they are advertised for F and M series gleaners. Anyone know if they they were interchangeable onto L series? Only reason I'm thinking of going way of the old, is I've looked at a few different makes of new ones, and I could be wrong but I don't think anything new will fit on my machine

· Registered
583 Posts
The ones off an M will fit. You need to be aware that if you do use tracks, you'll need to change the location of the driveline/countershaft on your grain header as it will be in the way of the tracks. Most guys here ran a jackshaft above the original drive shaft position. This was on an M2, L2 isn't any different. Lots of tracks were sold around here in the wet 80's, likely quite a few gathering dust in the back of drive sheds across the Thumb.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
F through L series had the 10 bolt wheel pattern, same as a semi truck.

F had lighter finals, could clear a 26 inch rim, L and M series share the same final and axle beam, and can barely clear a 30 inch rim.

· Registered
361 Posts
unless you have a rear wheel assist,,,, you will have serious issues turning with the tracks. We ran them in Ark and La in the 70's... 28.1l-26 R20 rice tires will be a better option. Be sure to check the LH nut on the final drive axle - under heavy load they will unscrew and cause a mess. We had a couple of F3's set up this way - they will float - but you need a 16' head. 23.1 26 Rice will work on a 13' about as well. Have a set up you need them... PM

· Registered
396 Posts
What do you have on your combine now for tires? I have 30.5 by 32 on my L. Floats really well. Just don't drive into a trench dug by a backhoe the previous year. Had fun getting that out!
I know where there is a set of 26" wide tires and rims (don't remember rim size) not far away, off of a JD 6620. Not sure if they will fit a Gleaner.

· Registered
396 Posts
Checked on the tire size. Choice of two sizes available. 28L26 or 30.5X32. 8 bolt pattern. If you have 26" rims now and need to go wider, your narrow rims could be split in half and weld in a band to widen the rims out to 28". The owner also knows where to get new centers made for the rims to match a different machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.